Rule clarification: Insulting mods in the pit.

I will not get drawn into an extended debate in this forum. I suggest you first try re-reading my post as you’ve entirely mischaracterized it and then take it elsewhere if you wish to discuss it further.

Ya know, that’s an excellent point. I’m sure you would be so accused.

Of course, I’m not so sure how unfair those accusations would be. If the range is nice and tight, no,–but if some people get a dozen warnings and others get none, and it seems to depend largely on how the mods feeeeeeeeeeeeel (rather than some clear-cut objective distinction), then I would say it’s a fair cop. Wouldn’t you?

That’s not how it works out in real life, so it doesn’t matter. :wink: All situations look a little different to everybody, so what’s important is to have flexibility in trying to head off problems, which is the goal of advising people about the rules and giving warnings. Having a preset warning limit that tied our hands would not make for a better forum. In making decisions about bans and suspensions, which we use more often than in the past, we look more at patterns of behavior and judge situations on their own merits rather than trying to come up with an objective metric. That probably wouldn’t reduce complaints anyway; it’d lead to complaints that we’re too rigid.

Well, no. In this (and other) forum, I got a ton on mod notes in my first month or so. They were all about different things so they didn’t add up, I presume. Plus, tone matters. It is one thing saying “don’t be an idiot” in IMHO a couple of unrelated times. Those would be slips of the tongue. Cursing a blue streak at someone in GQ would probably add up to more than that, even if it was a single time.

Okay. Both points noted.

I hope someone at this confab of Mods will at least raise the point of just developing a tougher hide. I say this not as a poster who likes abusing the Mods but just speaking from a logical point of view. Opting to stay more emotionally distant from Pit threads would go a long way towards solving many if not most of the problems here. It’s a slippery, treacherous slope once you start distinguishing how Mods may be addressed in the Pit from how other posters may addressed (especially since several Mod pittings have to do with the Mod AS a poster, not a Mod) and my solution has a kind of Occam’s Razor simplicity to it, as well as elevating you guys where you belong, above the fray, above the name-calling, above the petty stuff that often goes on here. Please consider using this in your business model, and please make this decision as businesspeople, and not as a group of powerful, disgruntled, long-abused posters.

Sorry… flash-of-anger and an overreaction based on a personal sore spot. Please don’t let it ruin your day.

Oh, it didn’t. It might have ruined a minute or two, but the rest of the day is just peachy. It’s Friday!

As has been said, there is nothing like that kind of range (over the kind of time period we normally consider). And then of course there is more to it than simply the number of warnings. The severity of the offenses, and the time period over which the warnings occurred, also play a significant role.

We don’t by and large keep track of “mod notes,” only Official Warnings, noted as such, that have been issued in threads or by e-mail. Occasionally a mod note will be filed in our records where no Official Warning has been issued if it appears to be part of a general pattern of behavior; and that generally only when someone has already received warnings for similar behavior.

Yes, tone matters. Also, failure to modify behavior in response to moderator requests. If I have already issued a number of moderator notes to a poster for something, and they persist in doing it in other threads, I may eventually issue a warning if they do it again because they don’t seem to be paying attention.