Rules for automatic "R" rating

The MPAA rating system is highly capricious. Look at the “rule” posted above and all it’s exceptions posted later.

There is a panel of “ordinary” people. The makeup changes over time. What one group decided 10 years ago might not be what they decide now. In particular, Big Hollywood Films get away with a lot more than indies. A lot more. Why “ordinary” people would have such a bias is peculiar and then some.

There are no enforced rules, people have threatened lawsuits (e.g., Kevin Smith) and they have backed down because they know they can’t afford to lose a test case.

I’ve linked to this article before; I think it’s an interesting peek at the ratings system. The main focus of the article is how films from big studios are given “lighter” ratings than films from independant sources with similar content. Some relevant excerpts:

Here are the 17 words that would cause me to automatically give an ‘R-rating:’
(but yet keeping this thread ‘clean’)

1.****
2.****
3.****
4.*****
5.****
6.************
7.*********
8.***********
9.****
10.******
11.*****
12.*********
13.****
14.****
15.***********
16.**********
17.*******

Happy

Regarding the differentiation in using “fuck” in a sexual vs. a nonsexual context, Albert Brooks has a somewhat famous quote on the issue. “If I say I’m going to fuck you over a desk, that’s an R,” he says. “But if I say I’m going to fuck you over with a desk, that’s a PG-13.”

Yes, it’s basically a stupid system, but to paraphrase that well-known political quote, it’s the worst possible system except all of the alternatives.

Of course, money plays a role. If a movie house can pay the MPAA, they can get whatever rating they want. Case in point: Batman Returns. In any rational universe, that would have gotten an R for extreme violence and sexual content. In this world, it got PG-13 to attract the teenybopper market.

A few fucks' do not an R movie make. Not even a motherfucker’ or a `shit-swilling fucking asshole’. Not having enough money does.

This is, of course, Bulls***. No amount of money will get you a rating less than R with those words. Your larger point has some validity, but it’s centered around the area the MPAA is notoriously most lenient on: violence. The more cartoony, the more likely they’ll give it a pass. Sexual suggestiveness (especially if it’s comedic and overt) gets a PG-13; sexual candor (not necessarily explicitness) gets an R.

Then, regarding the several posts made after mine, can someone explain to me how Spaceballs still got a PG even with its single non-sexual use of the F-word?

Just one use? Is this it: ?
(courtesy IMDB)
Dark Helmet: Out of order? FUCK! Even in the future, nothing works!

(also)
Barf: I know we need the money, but…
Lone Starr: Listen! We’re not just doing this for money… We’re doing it for a SHIT LOAD of money!
Barf: Oh, you’re right. And when you’re right, you’re right. And you - you’re always right.

Reasons:
1 Hi UncleBeer!
2 It’s a Mel Brooks comedy
3 Mel wanted a PG rating

Well, Spaceballs was made only three years after the PG-13 category was introduced; I imagine they didn’t have the same standards at the time.