Rules of NFL question

I hope someone can help me.

I have been trawling through a number of sites which list the rules for American football. I am looking for any references to scoring in open play by kicking the ball between the posts.

I read the rules on a site which said they were the basic rules and it mentioned being able to restart with a drop kick, except for the opening kicking off of each half. This got me thinking about something I saw on a show last season about a played in the 40s or 50s who scored several times from a drop goal. The article also focused on another kicker who was playing last season who had practiced this technique alot. There were comparisons and stuff, but it just got me thinking if it is actually legal to do this.

Any answers, or links to the definitive rule book would be most appreciated.

TTFN
Rick

The complete NFL rules are not online anywhere nor are they sold to the public.

You can still score a field goal or extra point with a drop kick. However, you can only do so from behind the line of scrimmage. In the past, a player could do it from anywhere on the field.

It’s almost impossible to drop kick the footballs that are in use today. They are too pointy. In the past, footballs didn’t have the sharp points at the end and bounced more regularly.

Do any keepers in soccer drop kick balls anymore? I used to see some keepers do it out here, but now punting seems to be the rule.

Thanks for the info.

I have links to some pages showing some rules, but I did not realise they did not poast them anywhere at all. That does seems a little odd though.

As for the football thing. I think it is just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for your answer too. I know drop kicking a ball is not the easiest thing to do, but it would make for some interesting plays.

TTFN
Rick

Is there any physical advantage to kicking the ball…football or soccerball this way? I never understood what the point of drop kicking the ball was anyway.

I mean…If I was both the best drop-kicker in the world and the best punter in the world…and I wanted to kick a ball further…which would I choose?