Running - Give me some advice

Exactly. And that was my point. People get bogged down in the details of running and forget to, you know, go run. They worry about far too many details and then think it is complicated and needs to be analyzed to death. Just run. Work out the details from there.

If you don’t have fallen arches and severely overpronate, you can do that. I’ve injured myself in high school and once again as an adult when I started running in neutral shoes. THAT SAID, I’ve been having good luck with the Nike Frees, which are basically light shoes with very little padding of any type that are supposed to be barefoot running shoes (though I run with thin socks in them.) I’ve only just gotten them to replace my Aesics Evolution (which are maximum support shoes), but they seem to run well and not cause any pain, and I love their lightness. They remind me of the early 90s Nike Air Huaraches, which I loved. In high school, I would run in regular shoes with arch supports on the advice of my podiatrist, after my right arch completely gave out and left me sidelined for four weeks.

That’s not bad advice. Although, sometimes, what you think works for you (like me with regular running shoes) actually causes injury. I’m actually a little wary of the Frees for that reason, because they do feel fine, and when I’ve gotten injured, there’s been no warning in the past.

I agree with most of this as being bullshit. Compression socks? I don’t even know what those are. Hydration belt and gels? Are you kidding me? The most I’ll take on a long run (10-15 miles) is a packet of sweet gummy candy sprinkled with a little bit of salt that I eat at the halfway mark and rehydrate. If it’s a particularly warm day, I’ll rehydrate several times along the way.

Cotton shorts? Proper running shirt? Doesn’t matter, but I sweat like a pig, so those stay-cool running shirts (whatever material they’re made of) are a god-send for me. In weather under 80 degrees, it doesn’t matter much for me, but in the current Chicago weather where it’s 80-100+ degrees in sweltering humidity, you bet those shirts help a lot. And I never wear shorts when I run. Just thin running pants, made from the same type of material as those shirts.

Heart rate and intervals are helpful if you’re training for speed. If you’re just exercising, you can forget about it.

What the run tracking gadgetry is helpful for (and I recommend Runkeeper. I hate the Nike program with a passion) is keeping track of your progress. It’s not at all necessary and when I ran track in high school, we had none of that crap, but it’s made running much, much more fun for me. Running track in high school was a boring chore for me. As an adult, it’s become fun because I can compete with myself. Not on every run, but on certain runs I can push myself, challenge myself, set goals for myself, make them, set a new goal. I’m competitively driven and these sorts of programs give me incentive to go out and run harder than I did before. Sure, you can do it with a stopwatch, too. (and that’s what I did before I got a smart phone.) It’s just that for a few bucks you can get all sorts of fun information, live pace updates, etc., that can help motivate you, if you’re the sort of person that responds to that kind of motivation.

Awesome! That’s inspiring - I’ll be getting shoes tonight and should definitely have time for a run tonight (even though I’d prefer to run in the mornings). Good stuff!

Good for you! Yet another vote for Couch to 5k here. I started C25K almost 2 years ago. I was in decent shape but was only able to run for about a minute without feeling winded. To date I have run two 5k races and one 10k and am training for a half marathon. My longest run to date is 8 miles. If you had told me two years ago that I would be able to run for 8 miles without stopping I would have said you were smoking something! And it all started with C25k.

I used the Podrunner Intervals First Day to 5k podcasts. One thing I particularly liked was that the music started out with a slow pace so I could run without feeling too winded. I think that was key for me being able to stick with the program. The music gets a little faster as you go through the program. I also liked the feeling of accomplishment as I completed a week and moved on to the next podcast.

I also agree that fancy running stuff is not necessary in the beginning. I started out with $40 running shoes and athletic clothes that I already had. If you want to spend the extra $$, go for it (my current $110 running shoes are SO much better than my original $40 shoes) but it’s not mandatory.

I run with a 6th gen nano - the only thing I wish it had was a GPS, but it does a fair job tracking my distance with the pedometer. I like that it’s really lightweight and I can clip it to my waistband. If you are looking for running music with a specific pace a useful website is jog.fm.

Good Luck!

Awesome! The great thing about the program for me was feeling like I was making real tangible progress. The first day of a “week” was always hard, and the third was always so much easier!

That is awesome and impressive that you can run 10 to 15 miles in 80 to 100 degree heat! Wow. I ran in 75 degree temps on Saturday and I was having a very difficult time. I almost always run early morning for just that reason.

Gadgets I think we’re all in agreement with. None of that is necessary. It can help and some people really use them to a great degree, but it’s not going to do anything for you just starting out. It’s far more important to get out there and move.

Shoes, on the other hand, really matter to some people. Not everyone; lots of people started running in army boots or Converse High-tops and did just fine. But for at least some percentage of people if they start running in improper shoes, they will either be in a lot of pain or injure themselves. It’s hard to say for sure before they start, but overweight folks without a history of athletics can be prone to injuries. The difference between a $40 pair of shoes and a $90 pair can be significant, but it’s not like anyone here is recommending that new runners need to buy a $450 Garmin GPS watch.

I agree with a lot of what csmodes is saying. Maybe not the shoes part so much (although I seem to have done a better job of picking shoes out based on doing research and reading reviews rather than actually getting fitted at a running store), but as far as the bells n whistles go, you can get really carried away with that stuff, to the point that you’re spending far more time preparing to run (or trying to get yourself amped up to run) than you are actually running. One of the joys of running is that you can just whack on some shoes and go for it - no fancy equipment necessary. But if tech is your thing, then hey, go for it. Just be aware that you could end up with some useless gear and technology, since your needs/ preferences will likely change as you learn things about your new running-self.

One piece of advice I don’t think I’ve seen mentioned, and this may vary based on your geography, but consider the time of day and weather conditions when you run. At least for me, these things are a huge factor. I live in Florida where the heat prevents me (personally) from running between the hours of 8am-8pm. I’ve gotten so used to running in the evenings that when I run in the mornings (i.e. for a race), it can be a difficult adjustment. And if I’m crunched for time and have to take an afternoon run, I usually end up fatiguing really quickly and having a bad run. What I’m trying to say is that if you find yourself really miserable during a particular run, consider the conditions you’re running in and see if you can modify things to make it a little more pleasant.

That’s pretty much all I got. That, and the stuff they say about taking it slow - that ain’t no joke, man. You’ll be doing good with the 3-milers, then one day you’ll be feeling great and end up doing a 6-miler - you’ll pay for it later. :slight_smile:

I agree with a lot of the comments regarding equipment. For a novice runner, I would not worry about the “things” you need as much as trying to make the activity routine. Once you take that first step, that first run, you will essentially set your baseline. Keep working at it and you will be amazed at what you can do, notwithstanding whatever gear you decide you want. For me I do like to have an MP3 player, but since I am not much of a numbers person, I just go by how I am feeling for the most part. I keep a simple log. Friends of mine swear by GPS watches and other gear - not for me. As stated - each to his own. Do what it takes for you to make running routine and comfortable.

I have run a dozen half marathons and a full in the last five years, along with a bunch of 5k, 10K, and 10M. I will say that the one bit of gear you should be prepared to spend some $$ on is shoes and running socks (not compression). You may not “need” to, but as I tell people interested in cycling, or snow sports - spend for good gear where your body contacts stuff. (Cycling - gloves, shorts, shoes. Skiing and snowboarding - boots and socks. Running - shoes and socks). You can go cheap on other stuff, but where your body contacts something, spend.

Good luck! You are going to do great!!

I’m almost done with c25k (on week 8), although I keep getting sidetracked doing runs with other people I have gotten started.

As far as gear goes, I recommend some New Balance Minimus shoes. I had never done any running before and picked them out because they felt most comfortable. If you are willing to take it slow and easy and learn how to run with the right form for them, minimalist shoes make running into less of a jarring experience for me, especially since I was much more, and still am, overweight.

I like runkeeper as far as apps to keep track of distance, speed, time, etc.

I’ve never been much of a morning person. I wasn’t running sub-7s, though. More like 7:45 for 12 miles at my peak last year. To be honest, I think it is kind of stupid, and I feel absolutely wiped at the end. One time it was pretty bad and my extremeties started getting numb. This year my regimen has been erratic, so I aim more for 8:30 miles.

I’ve been a runner for years - started in high school and never gave it up. I’ve completed a dozen marathons and too many to count 5k, 10k, 15k, half marathons, trail runs, etc.

I don’t have much to add to the advice from above, except this. Don’t underestimate how much it sucks at first. It’s awful for everyone when they are just starting out. I remember being a 14yr kid and thinking about how much I hated it. That phase lasted about two years. Really. And then I never wanted to stop. I developed an injury at the two year mark and realized how utterly pissed off I was that I couldn’t run. I did all the rehab work and I’ve not stopped since.

So, don’t give up! It sucks for everyone at first. This is normal. Don’t be hard on yourself if you struggle at the beginning.

Incidentally, the crazy thing is no matter how well I think I’m hydrating, I lose a ton of water weight in such conditions. On multiple occasions, I’ve l lost about seven pounds after any run of eight miles or more in hot and humid conditions. I know you should be replacing that water, but I feel queasy and waterlogged if I drink too much on my run.

I’m a massive sweater, as well. Got done on Saturday morning and my lower legs were covered in mud, and my shoes were squelching…there was no water on the trail.

Fortunately, it doesn’t bother me to drink water. I downed at least 4L a week ago over the course of 2 1/2 hours.

Are you just drinking water or something that has electrolytes in it? Because you need to replace electrolytes (mainly sodium), not just water, which may also explain why you feel queasy (nausea is one of the symptoms of hyponatremia).

I think we agree far more than we disagree. I just hear the same things in every “how do I start running” thread. The first answer is inevitably “go get yourself a $90 or $120 pair of running shoes.” They could help. They might not. For someone going 1 to 2 miles at little more than a walking pace I’m not so sure it really makes a huge difference. It could, certainly, but more likely the issues new runners will deal with aren’t going to be due to bad shoes, but just being overweight and the stress of trying to run at all that gets put on a body. Not to mention people trying to do too much too soon. Worse, if people think they need $200 to start running (shoes, socks, shorts, shirts, water bottle, etc.), not to mention the right tracking program and running app, they might not even start.

So I’m back to my original claim. Forget worrying about if this week you are running at 11:00 and last week you did a mile in 10:30. Forget trying to find just the right music to walk/run to or finding the perfect interval workout. Just get moving. Get comfortable shoes, comfortable clothes and get consistent with it. Once you get to that point, then you can start making it more elaborate.

I take in some salt on the long runs, but perhaps it’s not enough. (That’s what my salted gummies are for.) I wouldn’t quite call it nausea–just too much water makes me feel bloated, sluggish, and somewhat off. Or maybe that is nauseous. :slight_smile: If I take in a moderate amount of water, with a little salt, I feel fine. I just hydrate afterward with sugar, salt, and water.

On the other hand some people are natural gear heads and buying shit for whatever it is they’re doing, whether it’s running or playing a guitar, can make their activity more fun and more motivating. You just have to know yourself and recognize what turns you on to an activity and what turns you off. Apart from having reasonable shoes and an iPhone app for tracking my runs, I was a low tech runner, but I do wish I had bought some better tops. I’m a sweater and I was running in loose fitting cotton tops that would get incredibly heavy and uncomfortable during a run. Since becoming a Lycra wearing cyclist I have really come to appreciate a close fitting, light shirt made of a material with good wicking properties and wish I’d worn something similar when I was running.

As for shoes, I think they’re one of the most important things to spend money on in general, not just for running. You have to get shoes that fit well, if you can get that for $40 then great but don’t get shoes that don’t fit well just because it’s all you can get at a certain price point.

Basically I don’t buy your recommendation because you don’t know the person you’re recommending to. You just have to make sure you want to go out and run. It sounds like the OP is someone who likes having stuff, so I’d recommend getting all the stuff you want to.

I am about to start week 5 of C25K. A couple years ago I was in the gym 3-4 times a week, mostly in classes, but I always hated running. I always did kickboxing, body pump, etc and got my cardio through all of that, and some biking. I quit working out awhile back and go to a different gym now (my sister in law was my trainer at my old gym) and decided to give running a shot this time. I bought an app for my iPhone to tell me when to walk/run. I am liking it so far. I do it indoors right now because it’s too goddamn hot outside. The app is really great - it’s a nice British sounding woman who tells me what to do, hah. Unfortunately I am a migraine sufferer so that gets in the way of my training so I am not advancing as quickly as I would like but it is getting easier. So I am another who highly recommends an app if you want to do some sort of C25K type program to build up stamina.

Re: shoes. I did actually just go buy a pair of $110 shoes (marked down to $80) because I had been running in basically “fashion sneakers” that were not at all meant for running or even walking, and had suffered foot cramps and what felt like the beginning of shin splints at one point. They were the most comfortable pair I tried on, I was looking for a good balance of cushion and lightness, and I found a paid of Asics that fit the bill. But YMMV - as long as what you buy fits properly and provides the support you need, you don’t need to spend $100+.

Lots of good advice here. Everyone has their own preferences for music, but I like to run without any. It is almost meditative that way. Clears the head. Those of you who always run with music might want to give it a try.

Of course, this is coming from someone who occasionally listens to NPR’s This American Life while running, so …