Running - Give me some advice

I’m seriously considering training for the run portion of a mini-triathlon (paddle 7 miles, bike 14, run 3) that I’ve done for the past ~7 years. In previous years I’ve done 0 run training and just alternate walking and jogging (ending up with ~14 minute miles) (note: the course has some non trivial hills).

I figure if I do some training, I can increase my run / walk ratio.

Brian

I love it. I often run listening to Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me.
mmm

Same here. Really good to pass the time on long runs. Actually, any kind of podcast works pretty well for me. I listen to the Nerdist a lot on the long, easy ones. For shorter and faster work, though, I like to run to a playlist with about an 85-90 cadence (either 85-90 bpm, or 170-180 bpm). Makes it easier for me to keep an even pace and high energy. While I have my own mixes, there’s also a podcast called Podrunner that has premade techno mixes grouped by beats per minute.

I wasn’t really overweight. Maybe 10 pounds extra. Couch to 5K, hard, no real problem though - major sinus infections kept me from running the whole 5K, but I was proud. Went on to half-marathon training. Tibial stress fracture. Weeks in a cast. Now I have MAJOR orthotics and until now when I have a running partner I’ve been too gunshy to really start over seriously.

In other words, getting hurt will sideline you way more than a hundred bucks or so. (I did have expensive running shoes, but my physical therapist evaluated me and said “You know, you’re built all wrong from the hips on down.”)
ETA - don’t let this discourage anybody. This morning by the canal we saw a beaver, a juvenile egret, and our friend the Great Blue Heron (we call him Fred.) We also saw Undercover Santa Claus and Powerwalking Bodybuilder. The ducklings weren’t out but there was a swimming turtle. I have never seen a beaver in the flesh in my life and my upbringing led me to believe he was going to invite me to his little beaver house and serve me scones and marmalade.

I bet he didn’t. Such a bastard.

The only tech gear I ever used is a stopwatch. I just timed how long I could last at first, which was not very long at all (I think my first run was all of 13 minutes before I had to stop). The lesson here is the chiche, “just do it”. Don’t compare yourself to others, compare to yourself. If you keep doing it, you will improve very quickly at first. My first goal was to go 30 minutes without stopping, which only took a few weeks. Once I could go a respectable distance I’d try to run a set route faster and faster to train for races, or else crank up my time by increments for long distance training.

Don’t skimp on the shoes. The running socks are a good idea too, otherwise you’ll get blisters. Dedicated running shorts are also a good idea- the specialized materials won’t chafe your skin nearly as much, trust me on this one. I ran my first marathon in 2006, immediately switched to half marathons and have been doing them ever since, except for most of 2010-11 in which I had falling arches and had to sit out. Planning ahead with some arch supports or a consultation with a podiatrist or doctor if you are going to get serious seems like a good idea in retrospect.

I think the best thing is to not be hard on yourself. If you keep doing it you will improve, guaranteed. How much how fast simply is what it is, and if you just accept your limits and do it you won’t self-destruct.

Some people say it really sucks at first, but that did not last long at all for me. I only had to make myself do it for about the first two weeks, after which I started to really like it for itself. It can be a really nice thing to do, it makes you feel good, sleep better, etc. Good luck!

I hate running, the gasping, the cramps, the pain. That being said, I’d like to start running as an addition to my regular TurboFire workout. Now this couch to 5k thing sounds good, the only thing I’m really confused about is my running. Its awkward. I feel like I don’t have a stride and I’ve been reading on the Runners World website/forum about stride and how the midfoot strike is the best for your joints and such. I just run kinda awkward like a little retarded kid.

Anybody going thru this? Any tips?

Run however feels natural to you. Don’t worry about the back foot, midfoot, front foot stride. Most runners are heel-strike runners, and world-class runners come from all three foot-strike types. About 75% of elite runners are actually heel-strikers, at least in this study. I aim for midfoot, as it does feel easier on the joints to me, but I’m still a bit of a rearfoot strike. You just kind of want to have your body more-or-less over your foot as you turnover–you don’t want to throw it way in front of you as it’s a waste of energy.

Also, try to run relaxed and “tall.” You don’t want to be slumping over. You don’t want your fists curled up into tight balls and shoulders scrunched up. Loosen up. I like to keep my arms fairly low and relaxed (as in not up against my chest, but more waist level or possibly slightly higher), with my hands lightly cupped (thumb just touching forefinger, but as relaxed as possible.)

As a recently started runner I’d just pop in with a recommendation to read Born to Run. It has quite a few views on shoes , diet, human evolution and all that, and does focus on ultramarathon runners ( which I have no intention of being) which you can agree or disagree with. The main take away I took from the book was the dicussions arround attitude and the mind set of simply enjoying running.
I started with OK running shoes, an iphone with carefully selected music and Run keeper reminding me of pace and distance and all that. Honestly it became more of a distraction and frustration. Now I just head out the door with my keys and do the 3 mile , 800 ft climb, trails loop . Admitedly I did go for the vibram five fingers which are hellishly comfortable and my feet are flatter than donald ducks.
I am not planning for competition or marathons, just 35 mins a day of exercise. Give the book a read ( well I listened on audiobook on my daily commute) and regardless of which way you go, the goal is enjoyment and health, once I made that mental switch the runs stopped being a grind to the next goal.
YMMV
Obviously :wink:

One vote for “don’t overthink your gait” at the beginning.

I was a non-runner who caught the running bug something hardcore a couple years go. When I began, I’d never run a full mile in my life. One thing I’ve noticed is that, the fitter I became, the more my gait opened up. At first I did the head-down, shoulders-hunched, run-shuffle, and now that I’m fitter and have developed more strength, I automatically tend to run with my body and head up, my shoulders more relaxed, and I take longer, stronger strides. This isn’t something I was conscious of changing, it just changed over time.

I say, don’t force yourself to run any particular way. Your body will figure out the best way for it to run, if you give it enough practice and time to adjust to the activity. (That being said, if things start to hurt, it’s probably a sign…)

I started running in October last year. Joined a 10k race to have a target (April this year).

Was aiming for 10k in 60 minutes, managed 60:53 on race day.

Then laid off for a while and am getting back into it now with my nephew to get him fit. Have signed us both up for a 6k fun-run in September (which I will do pushing my kid in her stroller).

My thoughts on the matter.

1. Runkeeper rocks! I use it religiously and love the tracking function
  2. In my first two months I was alternating cycling and running, this seemed to get me in shape really quickly
  3. I second the thought of “just do it” - you don’t need fancy gear, just some simple cotton shorts and a t-shirt.
  4. Set your own targets, based on what you are achieving now - screw everything else. I started out By trying to beat my “running non-stop distance” each run. After a while I started changing this up with speed targets and then combining the two.

Done. 3.42 k.

Can’t say I feel like a million bucks, but I got off my ass. I need a shower.

So your entire counter argument to my thought that expensive running shoes probably won’t make a different to a beginning runner is to tell me that expensive shoes didn’t and wouldn’t have helped you at all?

I think his point is that saying “Just run” can be counter-productive for some people. For some people (again, not all) going into even moderate exercise without some preparation and/or professional help can result in injuries that make continued exercise very difficult. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Well, he probably overheard all the dirty jokes we just couldn’t help but make. Sorry, Mr. Beaver.

I’m telling you that I need REALLY expensive shoes not to get hurt (well, expensive orthotics.) Some people do and will get seriously injured with bad shoes.

This is one thing I came in to mention. I ran the London marathon a few months ago, and found while training that podcasts were much better for me on the longer runs than music. Listening to music it was too easy to zone out from it and have your mind drift back to how sore your legs were getting or how exhausting this is :slight_smile: A podcast or something was much better for keeping my mind occupied (I spent the better part of the marathon itself listening to some combination of Marc Maron’s WTF and Penn’s Sunday School)
The other thing for getting started on longer runs (at least, it was for me) is simply to try slowing down. So slow that you feel a little bit silly doing it. I used to always wear myself out really quickly by going too fast, it was only after really forcing myself to slow down quite a bit that I managed to get better at going for longer distances than I was used to.

I don’t listen to music. I can see where it might be useful when plodding down a stretch of road/track/sidewalk, but I also hate running on the road.

One of the reasons I love trail running is that, especially on a technical trail, your mind is always engaged. Besides, it’s not an experience that I want to be disconnected from. I don’t want a distraction. I don’t get bored.

One strategy I use for long (to me) distances is to pick a distance in my head that is longer than I intend to run, and then run at the pace at which I feel I can finish the longer distance. So, if I want to run 10 miles, I imagine what pace I would need to run 15, and run at that pace. It usually happens that half way through I feel great and know I have enough juice left to speed up a bit, so I do.

Long time runner here. I run two to three days a week. My current course is about 4 miles in length.

My advice:

1. Don’t worry much about gear. I think too many runners put too much emphasis on it. The only thing you really need is a decent pair of running shoes. And even that’s debatable. For many years I ran in $10 Wal-Mart shoes with no problems whatsoever. A few months ago I purchased my first “real” pair of running shoes (New Balance) for $100. They’re a little bit lighter than my Wal-Mart shoes, but that’s about it. I may go back to Wal-Mart shoes when this pair wears out.

2. Running needs to be a permanent part of your life. “I don’t have time to run” is just an excuse. Make it a priority. Don’t give up.

3. You need to understand what running will do for you, and what it won’t do for you. It will help your cardiovascular health, but it won’t help you lose weight (at least not much).

#2 is most important.