Rush & Drugs - FACTUAL question

I’m sure that GD and the Pit will be full of stuff about Rush Limbaugh’s admission that he is addicted to painkillers.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/10/10/limbaugh.statement/index.html

Here’s my question:

What (if any) position has Rush taken on drug abuse in the past? Has he taken any moral stance on addicts, pushed for better understanding, societal help, tougher sentencing, etc?

He is against legalization saying that you don’t live your life in a vacuume, meaning that you are not just effectign your body by taking drugs.

I can’t find any site or quote where he belittled the use of drugs.

The ABC Evening News reported that he had criticized drug users in the past, naming Darryl Strawberry in particular.

Who didn’t critize Darryl Strawberry? The guy had a multi-million dollar baseball career which he kept messing up because he couldn’t stop shoving cocaine up his nose.

Rush Limbaugh 1995

I didn’t much care for Rush’s explination. He said “After surgery failed, I chose to treat my condition thru drugs.” This clearly makes it sound like his doctor said “want another surgery or should we try drugs.” This didn’t happen. HE chose to treat his own condition. If you listen to him he constantly pushed the blame away from himself. HE chose to take the drugs.

BTW Strawberry was just too funny when he was on the Simpsons.

Markxxx, he had surgery and it failed to correct the problem which was causing him pain. The doctor knew that, because he had a second surgery. Presumably there were painkiller prescriptions before the first surgery and after the first one failed, and perhaps even after the second one failed. So I’m not sure that we can rule out his doctor saying “you should use painkillers so that this is tolerable to you, here’s a script.”

And I’ve no idea how a man can say “I chose to take drugs” and “I’ve tried rehab twice before and failed” have that construed as pushing blame away from himself. I’m sure he’s got enough self-blame going to fill several books; his drug use is almost certainly the cause of his deafness which could’ve destroyed his career. He’s got one of the single most listened to radio shows in the country and all of that hangs in the brink now – despite the fact that his loyal audience will be back for him in five weeks time (or whenever he returns) he still runs the very high risk of losing audience share and sponsors during his absence.

We’re not talking about a dumb person or some loser who started using for recreational kicks. He’s probably got self-blame right back to “I shouldn’t have played that game of touch football/picked up that heavy thing/gained so much weight/tried that weirdo sexual position that screwed up my back to begin with.”

Another few quotes to join Guan9’s…

“By legalizing drugs, all you’re going to do is define further
deviancy downward. We have a duty to pass on values to our
descendants, values that will maintain the standards of behavior and
ensure the survivability of the American way of life. And drugs are
no different. You end up destroying more than yourself.”
– Rush Limbaugh Playboy interview, December 1993

"The problem with legalising drugs is it’s another abbhorrent example
of human behavior that we’ve suddenly decided hey we can’t handle it,
we’ve given up.

We’re going to let you destroy your life. We’re going to make it easy
and then all of us who accept the responsibilities of life and don’t