Rush Limbaugh Claims "The Dark Knight Rises" is pro-Obama propaganda

because the villian is named “Bane”, which sounds just like “Bain”, which was Romney’s company a decade ago.

The fact that Bane was selected as the villian probably two years ago, and the Bane character was introduced in the comics some 20 years ago, apparently sailed right over his fat bald head.

Limbaugh: Asshole, Idiot or Both?
Is there a left-wing comic book conspiracy to create villains to embarrass politicians 20 years later?
Mitt Romney vs. Christian Bale-who would win?

This has been making the rounds, and it’s WRONG.

Limbaugh was commenting on parodies and mash-ups being made on liberal blogs conflating the movie Bane and Mitt Romney’s Bain. He was not by any stretch of the imagination saying that the movie used the villain Bane to take a shot at Romney, never mind that the villain was created in the first place for this only recently-applicable connection.

I came in to say this. I was listening to Rush yesterday while driving between meetings (because I needed to cringe at something) and heard him talking about it.

The quote the Guardian gave cite:

“So this evil villain in the new Batman movie is named Bane. And there’s discussion out there as to whether or not this was purposeful and whether or not it will influence voters,” said Limbaugh. "A lot of people are going to see the movie. And it’s a lot of brain-dead people – entertainment, the pop culture crowd – and they’re going to hear Bane in the movie and they’re going to associate Bain.

“And the thought is that when they’re going to start paying attention to the campaign later in the year and Obama and the Democrats keep talking about Bain, not Bain Capital but Romney and Bain, that these people will start thinking back to the Batman movies: ‘Oh yeah, I know who that is!’”

I don’t see anything about parodies or mashups in there, but I’m willing to accept that the Guardian didn’t quote the entire bit. Anybody got a transcript? I’m at work and can’t devote time to finding anything else.

Also, Romney is more like Wayne anyway - immensely rich, with reasons not to divulge their finances :wink:

Read the transcript for yourself, cmkeller: The Batman Campaign? - The Rush Limbaugh Show

He’s clearly talking about the movie, not mashups. And he says it’s intentional.

I didn’t actually listen to the show, but what I know of the issue prior to the posting of this thread came from Comic Book Resources. Scroll to the part labeled “UPDATE” in bold lettering.

Rush-bashing finds an easy audience in many forums, including this one. But sometimes, it’s simply not warranted.

To add: I’m sure that since then (like yesterday, as Sicks Ate refers to) he changed it to mash-ups and parodies, but his original idiotic point was that the name in the movie was intentional and would confuse the “brain-dead people [who] show up at the polls”.

But in this case it is. You no longer have to refer to a comic-book blog - you can read the transcript yourself.

Never mind me. I heard him yesterday, explaining (or trying to explain) his way out of it, not the original.

Reading the entire transcript, it is pretty obvious he was floating the theory that the use of the name was intentional.

Still, it just goes to show that he knows that as far as his audience is concerned, he can pretty much say whatever he wants, and when he explains it away his regulars will eat it up.

They didn’t need to reference a character named Bane (sounds like Bain) to make a correlation to something malicious.
Bane (sounds like Bain) is and has been for centuries an english word meaning:

1. A cause of great distress or annoyance.
    2 .Something, typically poison, that causes death.

The English language has a well-documented liberal bias.

We used to watch the news, then we got our current events through The Daily Show, now do we just skip those and go to Comic Book Resources to see what is happening?

Weird. The guy at Salon.com says the movie is a fascistic masterpiece.

Which, you’d think, would be right up Limbaugh’s alley.

The guy that created Bane is quite conservative and in response to Limbaugh explicitly stated that Bane is like an Occupy Wall Street guy and Romney is Bruce Wayne.

Batman also used highly intrusive surveillance and illegally extradited a crook in The Dark Knight.

I wonder what Rush’s worldview would be if he had his maid get him some really high quality weed rather than oxycotin.

Jas09:

I posted my prior message before you posted the transcript. I’m rather surprised that direct transcripts are available to non-subscribers, but I guess I could have checked like you did. The transcript definitely sounds like he’s actually saying it, though he does reference the Washington Times story, so it’s possible he was merely riffing on that.

It’s clear he doesn’t know his Batman history; heck, he hardly even remembered the name of the movie that’s about to be released.

“Flush LintBall”…what an idiot…pop another Oxy, dude!

Romney is Batman?