Rushing to get the field goal unit on: college football

During the Texas - Kansas State game today, the UT QB went down on 3rd down with 15-20 seconds left in the 2nd quarter. The field goal unit ran out onto the field, very quickly lined up and made the field goal. My question is, isn’t the defense supposed to be given time to adjust to offensive personnel changes in this circumstance? I’m sure that we’ve all seen the referee or center judge holding up the snap as defenders come into the field. Does this not apply to last second field goals or did K-State just not take advantage of it? It looked like time would have expired if there had been any delay.

Really? I’ve never noticed that if it happens. I’ve seen them hold up the snap until the chains are set and the other refs are in position, but not for the defense.

The NFL rule states:

DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS FOLLOWING SUBSTITUTIONS
Article 10 If a substitution is made by the offense, the offense shall not be permitted to snap the ball until the defense has been permitted to respond with its substitutions. While in the process of a substitution (or simulated substitution), the offense is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage and snapping the ball in an obvious attempt to cause a defensive foul (i.e., too many men on the field). If, in the judgment of the officials, this occurs, the following procedure will apply:
(a) The Umpire will stand over the ball until the Referee deems that the defense has had a reasonable time to complete its substitutions.
(b) If a play takes place and a defensive foul for too many players on the field results, no penalties will be enforced, except for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct, and the down will be replayed. At this time, the Referee will notify the head coach that any further use of this tactic will result in a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I’m about 98% sure that there’s a college equivalent but I can’t find it. In the NFL, the rule doesn’t apply after the 2 minute warning but college doesn’t have a warning.

NCAA Football Rule 3-5-2(e):
“When Team A sends in its substitutes, the officials will not allow the ball to be snapped until Team B has been given an opportunity to substitute. While in the process of substitution or simulated substitution, Team A is prohibited from rushing quickly to the line of scrimmage with the obvious attempt of creating a defensive disadvantage. If the ball is ready for play, the game officials will not permit the ball to be snapped until Team B has placed substitutes in position and replaced players have left the field of play. Team
B must react promptly with its substitutes.”

However, NCAA college football rule approved ruling 3-5-2-VII says:
“Late in the first half Team A is out of timeouts. A pass play on third down ends inbounds at the B-25 short of the line to gain with the game clock showing 0:10. Facing fourth down and three, Team A immediately hurries its field goal team onto the field.
RULING: Team B should reasonably expect that Team A will attempt a field goal in this situation and should have its field-goal defense unit ready. The umpire will not stand over the ball, as there should be no issue of the defense being uncertain about the next play.”
Approved Ruling 3-5-2-VIII says that if there was 30 seconds when the previous play ended but the offense waited until 10 seconds before bringing on the field goal unit, the umpire does stand over the ball until the defense can bring on substitutes or the umpire feels the defense has had enough time.

Interesting. I guess that covers it but I don’t care for the “reasonable” part. You can’t know if the team is going to kick, fake, or go for it and the personnel are different for each scenario. Making those decisions can take a little time.

Um, yes you can. If the offense doesn’t send the FG unit out, they are going for it. If the offense sends its FG unit on the field, they will either kick it or fake it. And the personnel is the same for a kick or a fake.

Disagree. If you think the kicking team is going to fake, your alignment and personnel could very well be different.

If you think the kicking team isn’t going to kick, you leave your defense on the field. I really don’t believe that any team has a special unit for a possible fake field goal attempt.

Tough, you should prepare for those eventualities.

NFL teams don’t, because their gameday rosters are too small (45 dressed for a game pre-COVID), but college teams can and do because they can dress 105 players. If you already have three backups for each position, you can afford to have 10 guys practice for specific weird situations like fake FGs, punts from the endzone, and such. See here for example: Nick Saban Explains What Went Wrong on the Fake Field Goal Turned Touchdown against Arkansas - Sports Illustrated Alabama Crimson Tide News, Analysis and More).

Maybe, but I still doubt it. The article you linked states that the Alabama defensive unit knew the fake was coming and was prepared for it. It doesn’t state that the ‘fake field goal defense’ team was on the field. In fact, the defender who was quoted in the article, Henry To’oTo’o, is a starting linebacker on the Alabama defense. Which strengthens my earlier point, that if you think a fake field goal is coming, you leave your defense on the field.

Think about it: if you believe the opponent is going to fake a field goal, would you put 3rd-stringers on the field, or would you leave your defense in the game?