Russia announces plans for permanent Moonbase

From the Telegraph:

The U.S. and China have already laid plans for permanent Moonbases. Japan, too.

Are we really in for a new space race?

I hope so. Nothing like competition between nations to foster breakthroughs and innovation in technology.

Shouldn’t they, you know, work on getting their people toilet paper first?

At this point, I’d be happy to see anybody* pulling this off. Somehow, though, I doubt that they can. Maybe if they really go for it it’ll kickstart somebody who has the money? I’d be all for that.

One thing is for sure, Russia is getting more money (or has more money, etc.) Their military is more active - especially on the Navy side of the house. The carriers they that have been laid up for 2 yrs are returning to sea. Their bombers are flying longer range missions.

Hell, they even put a damned flag on the bottom of the ocean floor.

Which past breakthroughs come to mind? (Not meant to sound snarky - I’m genuinely curious.)

A Russian or Chinese Moon Mission would be very impressive if it had been planned for, say, 1969. :slight_smile:

The two most obvious after my late night smart ass remark are cordless drills and satellite TV.

Well, they’re mostly in the military field . . . tanks, machine guns, battleships, aircraft carriers . . . but all that does lead to technological spinoff with civilian applications; and it’s doubtful we would now have such highly valuable things as weather or communications sattelites, if it were not for the Cold War space race.

Tang. The space pen.

I mean, c’mon, it writes upside down.

Slightly more seriously, I think the others have pretty much got it. Which is good, because I didn’t really have any examples at hand, just the principle.

Rockets, moon shots
Spend it on the have-nots
Money, we make it
Before we see it, you take it

• Marvin Gaye 1971

I am thinking pup tents for the new moon-gulag…

It’s been done.

Psst! Tang was already being sold before people got into space. It was first made in 1957 and was marketed in powdered form in 1959.

:wink:

Velcro is pretty nifty.

It was invented in 1941. Long before any country had a space program.

And teflon in 1938.

But here and here you can read about real space-program spinoffs. It’s an impressive list.

Yeah, but it’s fun to say.

Tang. Tang tang. Taaaaang. Tangtangtangtang.

I’ll go now.

What’s that old joke? “NASA spent millions of dollars developing a pen that would write in zero-gravity. The Soviets used pencils.”

I would think that broken pencil points and shavings in a weightless environment would be a pain in the ass…er, eye nose and throat.

How soon we forget Space Food Sticks. :smiley: