Russia invades Ukraine {2022-02-24} (Part 1)

That and a couple boxes of Turkish Delight.

Putin’s efforts to expand NATO are tremendously successful!

(here’s an article on the news Fiendish shared)

The Turkish drone manufacturer Baykar refused Go-Fund Me money and is donating drones to Ukraine…

from the Hürriyet Daily News

“Baykar will not accept payment for the TB2s, and will send 3 UAVs free of charge to the Ukrainian war front,” it added.
“We ask that raised funds be remitted instead to the struggling people of Ukraine.”

And Moldova’s on the short list to be next, I believe.

In addition to Moldova’s successful application for EU candidacy.

Russia has really not helped themselves there.

I want to know what back-room deal Turkey got for all this. It can’t be just money.

Safe bet – it always does, doesn’t it?

Turns out one of the bulletins in the BBC article @Andy_L linked above has some insight:

So yeah, the Kurds, directly and indirectly.

The kind and magnanimous Russians have withdrawn from the Sanctuary of Achilles, aka Snake Island, as a “goodwill gesture”. They said the same when they retreated from northern Ukraine.

Funny how they come up with goodwill gestures to make after all their equipment gets blown up.

The Russians withdrew having made the required sacrifices of men and equipment to honour Achilles.

It can’t have been fun to be a Russian posted to Snake Island. There’s not much cover and I’d imagine it wouldn’t be easy to build trenches in the rock.

If the Ukrainians put some anti-ship and anti-air missile capabilities on the island, it’ll be a great help in protecting the western Black Sea.

The real reason the Russians withdrew from Snake Island:

It would be hard to place mines in that rock. There probably are bobby traps

I don’t think the London Metropolitan Police have any presence in Ukraine.

It’s been awhile since I wrote booby. Typing too fast.

The russians tried that. Look what it got them.

Recent Ukrainian strikes on the island came from a new Ukraine-built long-range howitzer, which has just entered service, fired from the mainland.

The island is far, far beyond the range of Russian artillery, so the Russians cannot respond in kind.

It’s just a flat chunk of rock now. I suspect all the buildings are unusable.

It’ll be pretty miserable for the Ukrainians that get posted there. There’s always danger from Russian ships. That’s how they captured it in Feb.

It would be nice if a NATO ship dropped off a **prefab building that could be assembled and supplies. A legit humanitarian gesture that’s not a provocation.

Britain gave Ukraine anti-ship missles last month.

***bases are built using prefab buildings.

Ukrainian troops are being trained in the U.K.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1542355170704646146/7_7OD_2Y?format=jpg&name=900x900