Russia invades Ukraine {2022-02-24} (Part 1)

Being on a train for a day or three is not training. Except in Russia.

Good analysis by Fiona Hill:

intersting tweet

the black dotted lines are train lines…

Some maybe interesting pipeline blast info. The source is usually pro Russian. But sometimes real hard on Russia too. Maybe an array of contributors, editors. Always real short. A couple other sources also noted reports about U.S. ships useful for such task in the area.

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say about the website you have linked to:

That video is hilarious. :rofl:

Ignore as much as you like.

It is interesting to note, that as soon as the regions who voted to join the Russian Federation are officially accepted, all the current militias and so forth that exist in these areas, come under direct Russian military control. I have no idea what sorts of conditional control they have been under. Has there been any level of independent tactical command? Has it been only for Donbas public opinion consumption?
There may be a whole addition of personnel from grunt to top level command that may be integrated into Russian military structure. That sounds like tons of fun! A Donetsk Militia General, raised to Russian General? Hmmmm Full pay and pension? Full command allowance?
Might be some friction.

I don’t think retirement is high on the wish list of Russian Generals in this war.

He’s not ignoring, he’s just helpfully pointing out that this is most likely Russian propaganda, being directly orchestrated by the Kremlin.

You can choose to keep repeating from sources like this, or learn and stop doing this. Your choice.

I find it useful to peruse a lot of slanted sources. Comparing what pro and anti sources choose to include and exclude is often telling. What is excluded is often very informative. And if they agree? Wow. I may actually have a solid fact! Maybe…
I take about 6 hours a day and many sources to try and parse out all the stuff.

Wow, 6 hours a day, huh? Sounds like a complete waste of time compared to using non-biased, non-propaganda sources.

I am willing to view an hour long or more in depth discussion with several participants. Discussing current and historical aspects. What a total waste of time, when I can just spend a few moments viewing a social media channel post. And get the full picture.

Hah, if you think I’m consuming social media for my news, you’re out of your ever-loving mind.

If you want to watch propagandists for hours on end, knock yourself out. I will continue to advise against it.

Removed

I am dropping it.

As the military and I suppose political organizations of the Donbas areas are about to become Russian Federation members. There should occur a marked change in military tactics.
I think it may take some time for these to be enacted in the field. I suspect a month at least? Maybe a lot longer. Physical things have to move into place.
It seems to me that Russia can no longer cede any territory from those areas that “voted” to be in the Russian Federation even tactically temporarily. Going forward Russia must defend every inch. Otherwise a terrible black eye. So all defensive forces are locked in at the least. Must be backed up fully. So the mobilization is a 100% must have at the minimum.
But a large portion of Donetsk is still out there.
Does this obviously telegraph what Russia has to do, very soon? A big offensive to take outstanding Donetsk territory?
There are ongoing successful Ukraine incursions to the Luhansk/Kharkov and northern Donetsk areas.
How soon can Russia get things out there to do effective things? Donetsk folks will be pretty pissed going all winter being shelled and not having the whole Oblast claimed.

1. They didn’t vote to join.

2. “Officially”- you mean Unilaterally.

3. The Militia there is likely less powerful than the Proud Boys.

1. No they aren’t.

The Secretary General of the Russian Olympic Committee has fled the country and said she has no plans to go back.