Russia invades Ukraine {2022-02-24} (Part 2)

Tbanks Cardigan.

Reporting from Ukraine is very good. Similar to Deny but more tactical details.

I recall hearing the Russian Church worked closely with the Soviet government. Nothing has changed under Putin.

Here is a 14-minute video on Day 1 of the Russian invasion and the failure to capture the airport near Kyiv.

If history repeats itself then the Mig-31 is Russia’s Me-262 of WWII. Ukraine isn’t going to be able to fight it in the air so they need to attack it on the ground.

If the US can take the F117 out of mothballs now is the time to gift them Ukraine.

Well, he wasn’t wrong.

Prince William flew Sea Kings in the RAF Search and Rescue. Britain ended that operation for privatization.There’s a lot of decommissioned Sea Kings.

Is transport their main function?

Ukraine is getting 3 Sea Kings. Britain has already trained crews.

It seems they’ll be used for search and rescue.

Great Britain is transferring three Sea King helicopters to Ukraine - Ben Wallace - Militarnyi

That article is morw informative. Thank you for posting the link.

Huh, I had thought that the Ukrainian church was one of the Eastern Catholic churches, not Orthodox.

There’s both kinds. There is the Ukrainian Catholic rite, in communion with Rome, but there is also a Ukrainian Orthodox church, which until recently was a sub-group of the Russian Orthodox church.

Denys and his family has moved from Ukraine. The severe bombing and loss of power became too much. He plans to focus on creating content for his YouTube channel. He also mentioned studying to get his FAA license or Euro pilot license

I’m glad Denys got out. Russian authorities are probably aware of his YouTube channel.

This makes me sad, very sad.
Obviously, I can’t blame him, with all the suffering of the war.
He’s joining the other ten or 15 million Ukrainians who have fled.

But for me, he was a symbol of hope, now defeated.
And so many of his countrymen have lost hope.
They are being bombed back to the stone age.

It looks like Russia will win this war.

I am sad today.

Why do you say that?

I’d like to second that question. He’s really only making a wise choice for his family. He’s not fighting at the moment, and I imagine most who evacuate now intend to return in the spring. Hopefully those who remain are prepared for the winter, and by April hopefully Russia won’t be able to threaten their infrastructure further.

It is disheartening that there doesn’t seem to be a solution to Russian missiles and drones. Russia has found new life since partnering with Iran.

I agree the war can go either way. ISW still predicts the bombing campaign will ultimately fail. ISW also believes Russia hasn’t changed their goals. Putin still wants full control of Ukraine. That doesn’t leave hardly any room for peace negotiations. Ukraine has to continue fighting or they’ll lose everything.

This war could drag on for a long time.

Not just for his family, but also for other Ukrainians who don’t have that option. Haven’t the Ukrainian authorities advised people who are able to leave for the winter to do so, in order to lessen stress on their power grid?

Yeah, Denys staying in Ukraine does nothing to further the Ukrainian cause. He’s not working to repair the energy infrastructure. He’s an unemployed airline pilot. The armed forces don’t want him because of some medical issue. The way he’s helping is to bolster foreign public support for Ukraine, and he can do that from western Europe just as well as he can from Ukraine.

Is there ever going to be a point at which it will not be considered escalation for Ukraine to attack infrastructure and other targets inside of Russia? Or will the world community (except Iran and China) accept the greater costs of further isolating Russia for such inhumane actions against non-military targets?

Sure - the moment Russia no longer has any nukes.

The Department of Defense (DoD) on Wednesday announced the authorization of a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to $400 million to meet Ukraine’s critical security and defense needs.
Capabilities in this package include:
• Additional munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS); AIM 120 missiles.
• 150 heavy machine guns with thermal imagery sights to counter Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS);
• Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS); No indication which warhead; unitary or the giant shotgun blaster.
• 200 precision-guided 155mm artillery rounds; Excalibur rounds.
• 10,000 120mm mortar rounds; Probably a mix of HE (mostly) and some Illumination.
• High-speed Anti-radiation missiles (HARMs); The employment on Ukrainian aircraft seems to be paying dividends.
• 150 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs); Everything from ordinary transport to TOW missile carriers to mortar/artillery tow vehicles.
• Over 100 light tactical vehicles; MANPAD teams, sniper teams. transport.
• Over 20,000,000 rounds of small arms ammunition; Mix of 5.56/7.62mm NATO rounds, .50 cal for machine guns and Soviet 7.62mmX39 rounds.
• Over 200 generators;
• Spare parts for 105mm Howitzers and other equipment.
This is the Biden Administration’s 26th drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021. In total, the United States has committed more than $19.7 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration. Since 2014, the United States has committed more than $21.8 billion in security assistance to Ukraine and more than $19 billion since the beginning of Russia’s full-on invasion on Feb. 24.

Extra comments mine.