Russian idiom help

Looking for a specific Russian idiom my friend mentioned. He described it as “tidye eh da mistiboyou” but that’s a phonetic description. I’m wondering what the actual words, spelling, usage, literal meaning, and idiomatic meaning are. He thinks it might means something like “I and you and we together” or “soggy milk with walnuts”. Can anyone figure this out from the confusing information I’ve listed? :smiley:

The correct Russian is ты да я да мы с тобою, ty da ya da my s toboyu and roughly translated means “You and I, the both of us”. It’s apparently the title of a song, but I don’t know if there’s any idiomatic usage beyond that. I did find a Swedish PDF that used it as an example of the particle да (used similarly to и ‘and’), and calls it a Russian saying.

Beyond that, I got nothing.

Thanks! Just having the correct spelling is a huge help :smiley:

The standard Russian idiom for ‘You and I’ is actually (translated) ‘We with you’ - My s toboy (the toboyu that Olentzero lists is a less common variant). This also extends to ‘he and I’ - my s nim - and ‘she and I’ - my s ney. The title of this song seems to be a play on this, as it offers two ways of saying ‘You and I’ - a literal one and an idiomatic one - and could be translated ‘You and I and You and I’.

It’s not so much less common as it is an older form of the instrumental case. Older linguistic forms aren’t all that uncommon in proverbs and sayings in any language; English has its own throwbacks such as “Pride goeth before the fall” and such like.