"Rutledge's" -- where do I recognize that name from?

I know it’s a department store or something. But I keep feeling like it’s in a song lyric from somewhere too. Maybe a show tune? Maybe not.

I know there’s a song from “Oliver!” called “Reviewing the Situation” that mentions Claridges; but I don’t think it’s that.

Then I thought maybe it was where the Rutles were from; but no, that’s Rutland.

Am I nuts?

No one person or thing any great repute comes to mind. The Wiki disambiguation page seems to confirm that.

Ann Rutledge, Abe Lincoln’s first crush.

‘Routledge’ is a large academic publishing house.

Clearly you are thinking of Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances, played by Patricia Routledge.

Edward Rutledge was the youngest signer of the Declaration of Independence.

In the musical 1776 he had the show stopper “Molases to Rum to Slaves” sung by John Callum in the movie. Maybe that’s your musical connection.

Weirdly enough, that’s the first thing I thought of.

I can’t help with the musical aspect, but Rutledge’s is indeed a real store; albeit a strictly local one in Colorado Springs.

First thing I thought of was Sergeant Rutledge.

The OP may know the name from football. Jeff Rutledge was a fairly notable NFL quarterback out of Alabama in the 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. He played for the Los Angeles Rams, New York Giants, and Washington Redskins.

Jeff Rutledge is missing from that Wiki page mentioned above.

Lauren Bacall plays “Ms. Vivian Rutledge” in the 1946 version of The Big Sleep.

The chubby guy on Top Gear? The crappy US version. They mention his name a lot.

Dennis

For the win!!

I think you’re thinking of Selfridges.

Wow, good answers, especially since I did try the wiki disambiguation page first; and also a general lyrics search.

Mighta been Hyacinth. Mighta been Selfridge’s. Oddly enough, I think maybe that’s it. Thank you everyone!