Rye whiskey is yummy!

No, it’s not. It’s whisky, made with a little tiny bit of rye. It’s whisky with rye. But it is certainly not Rye in the sense that it can be sold as Rye in the United States. Note that the Crown Royal website does not call it Rye.

Templeton Rye has recently become available again in the Midwest; it’s the only rye I’ve tried. Has anyone else had it? How does it compare to the others mentioned here?

I’m not a fan of the Wild Turkey rye. If you can find it, the Rittenhouse bonded would be my top recommendation as an introduction to rye–it’s very good quality, especially for the price. (The 80-proof Rittenhouse is okay, but the bonded is the one you want.) My overall favorite rye is the Black Maple Hill, but it’s much pricier. In the past few years, rye has been starting to gather attention like bourbon did previously, so you’re starting to see more high-end ryes appear. Several of the Sazerac ryes are nice, the Red Hook is very good, the Van Winkle is very good, and there are others that are also well worth investigating.

Paul Clarke (well-known cocktail blogger) is a big fan of rye–for an example, look here: http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2007/01/05/the-rye-chronicles/

For those who now have a bottle of good rye (Van Winkle or better), try the following recipe for a Manhattan:

1 shot rye
1 shot Carpano Antica vermouth
A dash or two orange bitters

Stir & strain.

Is Crown Royal typical of rye? I’ve been tempted to try a bottle of rye because I’ve not had it before, but Crown Royal seems smooth to the point of blandness to me. I do seem to like stronger bourbons. I love Wild Turkey 101 and Bookers (128 proof, usually), and sip them straight with no ice.

So, rye drinkers, do you think I’d enjoy rye whisky or would I find it too mild and bland for my taste?

Crown Royal != rye.

Like other types of whiskey, different ryes vary in flavor profile, but in general rye tends to be “spicier” than bourbon. I don’t think you’d be interested in ryes like Old Overholt or Pikesville (ugh–bland, bland, bland), but you might like the bonded Rittenhouse, the Hirsch (overpriced for the quality, though), the Red Hook, or the Thomas Handy. And the Hudson is downright harsh.

ETA: You might also like the Old Potrero.

Very good. Thank you for the info and the recommendations. I’ll be making up a shopping list now. :slight_smile:

What does being sold in the states have to do with anything? I understand that the U.S. government has little rules about what percentage of rye has to be used in order to call a drink rye, but I’m not in the U.S., and don’t care about that at all. It’s rye. Canadians have called it rye for almost seventy years, and you’re cute little government can’t change that.

Again, if you don’t personally like it, fine. But it’s rye.

thwartme

Whereas in Canada, rye whiskey apparently doesn’t need to contain any rye at all?

Note the absence of any reference to rye as an ingredient.

The states has laws about what can be considered bourbon and rye etc. Canada gets a pass (for reasons I don’t know and don’t care enough to look up). Rye whiskey needs to contain at least 51% rye, which Crown Royal does not. Again, I like Crown Royal, but it isn’t Rye. Just like Jack Daniels isn’t Bourbon and Jameson isn’t Scotch.

But Crown Royal does have rye in it. Maybe not the arbitrary amount the U.S. government irrelevantly calls for, but it’s got rye in it. It’s rye.

Seriously, folks, the government has nothing to do with this. It’s got rye in it. It’s rye.

thwartme

Then is all bourbon rye? Because all bourbon must contain some rye. What’s the difference?

Really? I didn’t know that. Wiki says wheat and/or rye, so it seems to me that at least some don’t have rye. But go ahead, call it whatever you want.

I’ll keep calling Crown Royal rye. 'cause it is.

thwartme

i’ve never tried rye, and don’t really recall seeing much of it in the stores. the mention of rye always reminds me of “lost weekend”, where ray milland (i think) is running around wild eyed screaming for rye, and hiding his empty bottles outside his window in a bag. thank god for vodka in plastic bottles and trash compactors!

Add to the list the rye that started this thread. You won’t be sorry.

My favorite rye is the Willett 23-year-old “Velvet Glove.”

So good.

I’ve never had it, as I’m not a whiskey drinker, but I’m familiar with Templeton Rye because it’s owned (partially anyway) by the band The Nadas from Iowa and has been mentioned on the radio here in Chicago.

Given that I have you to thank for my discovery of Booker’s, Wild Turkey 101 and the 12-year-old Macallan, it’s already there. :slight_smile:

FWIW, those of you who have decided that you like rye owe it to yourselves to try Laird’s bonded applejack (though the official name is “Straight apple brandy”).

It’s rough around the edges, but it’s good stuff and is fantastic in cocktails.

Bonded applejack : calvados :: rye : bourbon

I’ve had it. One week they were passing out free samples at the Farmer’s Market (they got in trouble for it).

Very, very smooth. I am not a whiskey drinker but I quite enjoyed it. I’ve been telling my friends about it. I saw a whole bunch of it at Costco; I’m thinking about buying it for gifts for the holidays.

Except it shares nothing of the tradition and characteristics of a whiskey made with mash bill of nearly all rye grain. Canadian whiskey may be colloquially called rye because it used to be made of and taste like rye, but that’s not the case these .

Anyway, I had two days of interviews last week for a job I’m excited about. At the same time, I noticed that the downtown liquor store has a few bottles of the Black Maple Hill 23 year old rye. If things work out, maybe I’ll get to haul a couple of those home…