Sad baseball card story

Sad story about the baseball cards my brother & I collected religiously one year. It was the 1987 Topps baseball cards with a wood-grain pattern. We carefully cataloged and preserved them in plastic sheets. We got the entire set (and enough extras for a third set, probably). If only Mom hadn’t thrown away those 20-year-old cards, we’d be zillionaires right now.

Or not.

eBay has the complete set of 792 cards offered for $8.95 :eek:

So much for that money-making scheme.

There were 17 cards in a pack for 40 cents each. 792 divided by 17 equals 46 packs minimum to get the whole set (assuming no duplicates).

Those 46 packs from 7-Eleven would’ve cost us $18.40 in 1987. :smack:

Yeah, I was a football card collector when I was a little girl. I was a scrupulous completist, and the sets I have (mostly from the late 80s and early 90s) have not, shall we say, appreciated in value.

Now for a truly sad story…

Gil Hodges gave my dad (then five or six, I guess) a baseball signed by the 1955 World Series champion Brooklyn Dodgers. All of them.

He and his friends played with it and destroyed it.

Yeah knowing what I know about baseball card prices, I am very sad that the era in which I enjoyed the hobby (late 80’s-early 90’s) was the beginning of the worst era in baseball card collecting.

My dad’s cards have even sadder stories, though, BECAUSE they are worth so much:

• The cards he glued to a board and meticulously wood-burned around in 1960.
  • The cards his sister lovingly “borrowed” from him in 1958, cut the faces out of, and glued to a lacquered cigar box.
  • The hundreds of 1950-1969 cards his mom tossed from his closet when he went to Vietnam
  • The hundreds of cards from 1950-1978 that got stolen from our house in 1997.

So sad :frowning:

But still…a fun hobby. But about as expensive as smoking these days!

I got out of it in 1986, but still have complete sets back to 1977 and misc stuff back to the late 60s early 70s. Not making me a zillionaire, but probably a couple/few thousand dollars worth.

I did well with baseball cards: I collected in the late 60s, which have held up quite well (I seem to recall that the 1968 set – the year I collected the most cards – is still the most valuable one for collectors).

The sad story? Well, we went through a time when we sorted cards by team (I also used to keep them by player’s last name and didn’t start sorting them by number until very late in the game). The problem was, how do you file a card with two players from different teams.

My brother came up with a solution: you cut the card in half, peel the back from the front, and tape them onto 3x5 cards cut down to baseball card size.

We did this with a Rod Carew rookie card (currently selling for up to $192 on eBay).

The good thing is I have a second one.

I have saved in perfect condition, for thirty-something years, a twopenny blue and a penny red, both Victorian stamps.

Then I checked eBay.

FOUR twopenny blues in a block (I only have one): £5.00
Penny red: £0.99

Damn.

But I’ll still make a fortune with my JFK silver half dollar in a presentation case, won’t I?!

Oh. $6.99.

My grandparents were full of shit. :frowning:

EBay has destroyed the collectibles market for the seller. My ex-wife bought me an excellent condition Sandy Koufax card from the year of my birth (1963). She spent around $120 on it in the mid-90’s. You can get one on Ebay in the same condition now for $50-60.

I’ll never sell it. It’s one of my favorite gifts from her so I don’t care what it’s worth to a buyer but it illustrates what has happened.

I had a couple complete sets that I had stored in my closet back at “home” (mom’s house). When her washer broke, it leaked across the hall and seeped into the closet. Quite a number of major rookies got quite warped (though she did her best to dry & flatten, so to speak).

Never was a “serious” collector, though I have several thousand I should probably work on getting rid of–though probably my “biggest” card was the Mark McGuire rookie, which was worth 3-digits easy at one time, and quickly plummeted to nada (thank you, Barry Bonds). Now, if I ever see a window like that again, I’m dumping while the getting’s good (though given the market, that’s probably an age long past).

My dad gave me a bunch of his 1948 Bowman baseball cards he had found when cleaning out his mothers house after she passed.
The biggest names in the bunch were a Yogi Berra rookie card and a couple of Stan Musial. They’re not in MINT condition but they’re not bent or stained either.

I thought these may be worth some big $$'s. Nope. On e-bay they fetch around $150-$200 for the Stan Musial / Yogi Berra cards. Other no-names are around $20-$30.

I decided to keep them rather than sell. Seems rather silly to sell your father’s almost 60 year old baseball card collection for a measely $500. Maybe my son will fair better in another 30 years?

I went to the same grade school that Willie Stargell’s niece attended. Willie came to our school to give a talk one year. When Q&A time came, I raised my hand and asked a question. Although I do not recall what I asked, it must have been good, because he took me aside after the talk was over. He brought a few baseballs to hand out; they had already been given away earlier. But, he gave me a glove that he was using, and he signed it. :cool:

I used the glove for a few years, then it was stolen.:frowning:

So ebay might be the reason cards aren’t worth that much? I would’ve never imagined a whole Topps set would be less than $10 after 20 years (even with Bonds rookie card).

I guess eBay makes them more accessible than the neighborhood collectors shop and less “rare”.

My brother kept his baseball cards (stored the correct way…in shoeboxes :wink: ) for like 40 years. He was living with a Chinese family. Their daughter got involved with a Chinese street gang and the kid stole his collection. It was very sad for him.

Just wait another 150 or so years. People will be paying top dollar for my 1991 Fleer Dave Bergman. It’ll be so kitsch.