sailor: biggest piece of shit on the board

I don’t see the advantage to letting the process play itself out. Banning sailor for his crazy level of obnoxiousness would set a great example for others who might be tempted to be jerks like this.

Boy, can he curse. He curses like a…

He curses a lot.

In many cases, banning or even a suspension takes way too long.

Reminds me of Rand Rover, who kept threatening to have sex with my mother and then my daughter (who was in middle school at the time). He did that for months with many posters reporting him (it was his go-to reaction to being argued into a corner) until he amassed enough warnings to get banned.

I put him on ‘Ignore’, but then I’d see his BS when others would quote him. I just left the board for a while, until he got banned. You might need to do that.

The big thing to me is that generally I assume when posters are jerk to one another it’s a spur of the moment thing. Even if it’s some insult you think is generally true of whoever you’re insulting, you probably wouldn’t say it normally.

This isn’t just being a jerk; this is deciding “Hey, what’s the most unpleasant and personal a jerk I could be?” and then calmly looking up some information so as to hurt best. There isn’t even any kind of provocation. Fuck that guy.

This is a great post.

It’s not like they were actually in an argument and he lost his temper. I also can’t even understand why he was so offended by someone insulting a totalitarian police state that he had to go for such a personalized insult.

I’d be completely comfortable with Sailor’s banning after that shit.

[Moderating]
Mods can give warnings at their own discretion, but further sanctions need to be discussed as a group. Which is all I, or anyone else, can say on the subject in this thread.
[/Moderating]

Jeepers, that was very out-of-left-field. Pretty damn jerkish. Doesn’t make him the biggest piece of shit (far too many racists round here these days) but certainly the biggest jerk I’ve seen lately.

:confused:
Though they tend to abuse logic and rational thought, they are not otherwise contemptible.

I’m seemingly in a minority in that I see his comments to lieu as metaphorical and not personal. He had previously referred to the US in various metaphors of people who were failing to live up to their potential and making bad decisions(drug use, neglect of their physical health). In context it would seem that lieu’s comment about China stealing technology(which they’ve clearly been documented as doing, especially ballistic missile and rocket tech) might have read, to sailor, as pointing out one of the good points of the US(that it had developed this technology in the first place). Which he then spun into another metaphor of the US as a teenage girl who had one significant accomplishment(graduation) but which was overshadowed by the negatives her bad choices had brought into her life(pregnancy, drug use).

All of this goes out the window of course if lieu does have a pregnant, drug-using, recently graduated daughter. I confess to not have followed his posting history close enough to know. That would make it clearly eminently personal and a clear episode of jerkishness.

Enjoy,
Steven

Sure hope so. He’s a jerk, pure and simple.

I obviously sympathize, but did you PM one or any of the mods?

Beyond that, I think Miller was giving a not so subtle suggestion that if you want a more concise answer to open a thread in ATMB, since he’d obviously feel more comfortable giving answer in that thread.

For the record, I have no dog in this fight and would be perfectly fine with a suspension for it.

That post was so off-the-wall that I would really like to read an explanation by sailor as to how he decided to do it. He started writing a reply to something he didn’t like in the quoted post by lieu, then he went to lieu’s profile, found out lieu mentions a daughter in there, and decides to spew some crap about that? WTF?

I would love to see an explanation, but I don’t expect to.

I don’t expect that he will respond well to any moderator actions. In 2009, he got suspended for telling the mods to stuff it and came back from his suspension arguing about it.

Must have been too subtle because I read it as discussions were taking place under the Mod Cone of Silence. If that’s the case another thread would do no good until there is a decision.

I have to assume there’s more to this that I’m not getting - did you post about your daughter in another thread or something? - but if there isn’t I’m all for the banhammer.

Yep, that was the way I read it.

I also agree that sailor can be a very insightful poster, but there is simply no excuse for that type of behavior. I think a suspension is in order. I wouldn’t want the guy banned unless he has a history of creepy posts about other posters’ families.

He’s been suspended for a month.

This thread will not be around much longer, I guess.

Anyway, I hope he comes back and gets over whatever it was that got to him wrt his comment to this thread’s OP. I don’t really care that he called me a liar (that was his other warning), and if I could, I’d take back my own comment about his not liking America. I think it’s true to some extent, and he does like to bash this country irrationally sometimes, but I shouldn’t have thrown that out there so casually.

Since sailor is taking a little vacation, I’m going to close this.