Salon.com Ezine explains it's business strategy to Astro

I was web surfing yesterday and come across a provocative Salon.com story, only to decide moments later that I would move on instead of subscribing and left them this note just as an afterthought.

I actually received a response from a human being reasonably high up on the Salon food chain. This is from Patrick Hurley
Senior Vice President for Business Operations.

Hmm, that’s interesting all around. I’m surprised they have that many subscribers.

On the other hand, I don’t buy that “lowering the price won’t do any good” nonsense.

What I really think will hurt these people, is that I can subscribe to a “real” magazine for less. Really, what makes ezines so popular? Is it because you get up-to-the-second news? Nah. It’s because they’re free, and easy to get.

I also think the paid subscription thing won’t work because we all browse too many sites. It adds up quickly. It doesn’t take long to reach the “wow, I could buy somthing nice with that much money” threshold.

I’m not a subscriber and, since they began to charge for most of their best content, I no longer go to Salon very frequently, but for a couple years it was without doubt a better magazine than Time, Newsweek, or other of its competitors in the news and commentary magazine market, irrespective of its medium. Plus, for many users, it’s more convenient.

–Cliffy

I did subscribe for $30 and I’m quite happy and satisfied with doing so.
Back before they started charging, I got quite used to reading Salon daily. I enjoyed the varied political views and the wide scope of Salon.
When they started cutting staff, I was worried they might go under like many other sites I used to read.
So when they put out their appeal for subscribers, I eagerly signed on, hoping it might stave off going under. So far it has.
For a less than a dime a day, I enjoy this daily ezine much more than any “real magazines.”
I can’t begrudge paying them for the value and enjoyment I receive. YMMV

The problem with ezines is you cannot take them into the bathroom with you.

laptop + wireless broadband.

need i paint a picture?

I was growing tired of Salon by the time they went subscription and never really considered it. At their peak, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

By the end, though, the majority of writing seemed to either be self-reflective “NPR” commentaries that managed to be more boring than NPR commentaries or were thinly veiled, poorly written attempts to titilate.

Almost all of their good writers have left, and those that remain are now mostly hidden from view by the Premium shield.