Sappy Songs You Turn (Punch) Off Instantly

While I agree with your opinion of the song, I must admit that when it comes on the radio I cackle as I turn up the volume and sing along. The children in the backseat wail and claw at their ears. :smiley:

I guess I’m a big old sapp 'cause I like many of the songs here…

:slight_smile:

To quote from this page:

If you’re interested (and know French), you can read the Le Moribond lyrics here.

SanibelMan: Bless The Broken Road is performed by Rascal Flatts.

Hey, whoa. Take it easy, buster. That’s JT you’re talkin’ bout, there. :dubious:

Though if you had limited your violence to, say, “Shower the People,” I would’ve understood.

Word. When Dolly sings it, she means it. Whitney uses it as an excuse to shatter glassware. The difference between the two is the difference between a good song and a two-liter bottle full of the Devil’s flatus.

A-freakin’-men!

I wholeheartedly agree with the unbearable stinkitude of most of the songs listed in this thread, and I am about to be very, very evil. No one has mentioned:

Harry Chapin. You know. “Taxi.” “Cat’s Cradle.”

Yessssss, it hurrrtsssess doesn’t it?

Also, there are some songs that I know are useless treacle, but I like to wallow in their crapulence anyway. Mind you the songs aren’t having their intended effect on me, it’s more like MST3K listening.

“The sailors say Brandy, you’re a fine girl”

Just bouncy fun if you realize it’s drivel and just … go with it.

Also, I like “Woman, Have You Got Cheating On Your Mind?” by Gary Puckett (and the Union Gap!) because in my mind I have this picture of a wallscreen behind me as I karaoke it, full of images of women leering and licking their lips making obscene hand signs behind me as I gravewly intone: “A woman has a certain look/when she is on the move”. Adds a lot to the song, lemme tell ya.

“Young Girl, Get OUt of My MInd” has a similar wallscreen, except the women are all in their 30s (because the singer is in his 50s) and they’re doing things you can’t show in non-adult theaters.

It’s pure self-defense, and it works.

“Shannon has gone I heard,
she’s drifted off to sea,
she always loved to swim away…”

I can’t escape workplace radio. Often the powers that be turn it to a station that specializes in sappy golden oldies. One of my pet hates is this song in which a whiny guy does the ‘I’m soooo sensitive and hurting and sorry’ bit while he sings he “should have known better than lie to one as beautiful as you (ay ay ay ay ay!!!)”.

WTF? If she hadn’t this inner or outer beauty it would have been alright?
You underestimated she has a spine (comes with the inner beauty territory) and now you’re all upset your actions do have consequences and she dumped you?

The bad thing is that this is exactly the kind of self indulgent ‘emotion for beginners’
loser whining that attracts females with serial bad relationships. “oh,he’s soooooo romantic and suffering”.