Sarasota, Fla.?

Does anyone know anything about Sarasota? I’m going there to present at a conference in March; what should I know?
Thanks in advance.

I may or may not be able to help, depending on what kind of information you’re looking for. Could you clarify a bit?

The Minty One
“Satan’s spirit flew right out of my TV Set and into my soul.”

Oh, things to do, things to see, what to wear, is it an overpriced resort town with cute brewpubs and kite shops, or a dry bible town with, well, nothing? Basically is it a fairly pleasant place, or should a nice girl not walk around alone at night? Whatever you can tell me is more han I know, really. Their Chamber of Commerce site offers little.

OK, my grandparents have lived there for over 10 years and we’ve visited frequently, so here I go:

1. You MUST go to Siesta Beach on Siesta Key. The sand is beautifully white (it’s been voted “the whitest, finest sand in the world”), which keeps it surprisingly cool underfoot on even the hottest days. Bring a beach umbrella, your suit (though the water is CHILLY this time of year), and some SPF-15 sunscreen, plus sunglasses to do some serious people-watching.

2. About a half-mile north of Siesta Beach is the small, really resorty area, with tchotchke shops and some little boutiquey stores.

3. The Ringling Bros. circus museum is in Sarasota. I’ve never been to the museum, but we did run into a Flying Wallenda (or so he said, he was hammered) at a restaurant in November.

4. If you like seafood, try to get to an oyster bar (Philippi Creek Oyster Bar or the Original Oyster Bar are 2 of my faves).

5. St. Armand’s Circle is a street lined with some very high-class shops - you can do some good people-watching there, too.

6. There are a couple colleges in the area, so there is a pretty decent night life. You just have to know where to look, since a LOT of Sarasota is Retirement City. As far as I can tell, it’s a pretty safe place - but a lot of it is touristy.

I’ve got more - let me know what else I can tell you!

-Meg

Sucks to your assmar.

Hmm. As far as what to wear, bring pants and a long sleeved shirt or two, just in case, but in March…summer clothes, mostly. Temps should be in the mid 80’s, but there still might be the occasional day or two of cooler weather. Eh. I just looked it up, and it claims the average high temp for March is 77. That seems a bit low; maybe there were a couple of especially cold years that brought the average down…

The water will probably still be too cold to swim in, but long walks on the beach and/or sunbathing is still an option.

Pelican Man’s Bird Sanctuary “provides a safe haven for thousands of injured and orphaned birds each year. Most are released back into the wild, but some stay on as permanent residents. Over 300 birds representing 55 species are here, including pelicans and other seabirds, great blue herons, hawks, ospreys, songbirds, owls and an eagle.” They’re open 7 days a week, with free admission. Of course, if you hate birds, this isn’t the place to go. :wink:

Sarasota Jungle Gardens Flamingos, crocodiles, tortoises, bird and reptile shows (come on, now, what could be more fun than watching a macaw skate? g), a petting zoo, and nature walks. It’s been a while since I’ve been, but I always had fun–at least, until my feet got tired.

There’s…
Mote Marine Aquarium
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens
Florida Studio Theatre
FSU Center for the Performing Arts
Sarasota Opera House

And of course, there’s the Ringling Museum Complex. Ca’d’Zan, the mansion John Ringling (of Circus fame…) built, will be closed for restoration, but the rest of the complex should be open.

I don’t know what kind of time/transportation you’ll have, but if you can make it up to Bradenton (my map shows the little points that designate Sarasota and Bradenton as about 15 to 20 miles apart), there’s:

Anna Maria Island Historical Museum
South Florida Museum, Bishop Planetarium and Parker Manatee Aquarium
and Gamble Plantation State Historic Site, the only surviving antebellum plantation house in South Florida. Technically, it’s in Ellenton, but it’s probably no more than 5 miles or so away from Bradenton.

I don’t know anything about the nightlife, but there should be plenty of bars and clubs, if you like 'em. Hmm. Plenty of gift shops, especially near the beach.

A fairly pleasant town, all and all, I suppose. A thriving tourist industry, and a popular area for snowbirds in the winter. I wouldn’t walk around outside alone at night, but that’s just me. I’m chicken, lol. You’ll probably be safe enough, as long as you don’t go down dark, lonely alleyways and such… :slight_smile: The population, as of '90, was approximately 51,000. It’s certainly grown since then, but I don’t know by how much.

You may also find this helpful: Sarasota.com

I hope this was at least of some help…

Whew. I’m gonna be pissed if all these links don’t work… g

The Minty One

Meg! Thank you. St.Armand’s Circle is wonderful. And I’d completely forgotten about it. :frowning:

The Minty One

Hmph. That wasn’t very nice. The link was Sarasota.com

And right under that, my hope that all these links worked…grrr…

The Minty One

sigh Once again…I said that I didn’t know what kind of time/transportation you’d have, but Bradenton and Sarasota are close, neighboring cities, abd those are if you can make it up there. Now…
the CORRECT links (hopefully)

are:

sigh Once again…I said that I didn’t know what kind of time/transportation you’d have, but Bradenton and Sarasota are close, neighboring cities, and those are if you can make it up there.

Apperently I messed up big time on some of those links, cause half of 'em don’t even show up, along with several bits of the rest of the post. ::throwing hands up:: I give up. See if I ever try to be helpul again. ::mutter::

Sheesh…

The Minty One

I’m too annoyed to even correct my spelling errors. :frowning:

I just freaking give UP.

The Minty One

Great info guys, thanks. At least I have a general feeling for the place now. I think was was confusing it with what I had heard about Pensacola… Sounds much better. The conference is at New College, which sounds like Evergreen College (Olympia, WA) Goes to the Beach. I’m pretty much planning to hoof it once I get in to the airport-- maybe a motel shuttle. Sounds like the college is pretty close to the airport. Anyhow, thanks!

I did my undergraduate work at New College, and it’s a wonderful place. I can’t tell you much about what it’s like to visit for a few days, but I can say that studying there for three years is great.

Pssst, Minty -
I had forgotten about the Jungle Gardens – that place is hilarious! So thank YOU. :slight_smile:

-Meg

Sucks to your assmar.