Saving up for an XBox Series S: Is it worth it?

Okay, I admit the first reason I want to get an XBox Series S is to play the new NBA 2K23 game, which has a franchise mode in which you can play as classic teams with correct drafts. But that’s not all I want to play. I wanna play Red Dead, WWE 2K22, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, and some emulated games.

I have to save up $100 at a time. Do you think it’s worth it for me?

Xbox Series S is a pretty good deal, especially if you do one of those scam-ish upgrades to Game Pass where you abuse their generous rules to get 3 years for like $150 by combining Xbox Live cards with the $1 upgrade promo.

The big question is what’s plan b? What else do you have access to?

I have a crappy laptop that’s on the verge of giving out and can barely play The Sims 2 with any consistency. And even if I upgraded to a gaming PC, NBA 2K23’s MyNBA Eras mode is only available for XBox Series and PS5, and not for PC.

Totally worth it.

I’ve never owned an Xbox and prefer Switch and PC for my gaming, but yeah, it’s a great machine and if you get the Game Pass thing, it’s tons of fun.

Am I right that all games released for the big “fridge shaped” Xbox will also run on this cheaper machine, just not at top-of-the-line graphics? For someone who does not care about absolute top of the line graphics at 60FPS, I would totally get one of these Series S ones.

Apparently, the Xbox Series S is $50 off at Target Oct 6th - 8th and includes a second controller. Not to shill, but I immediately thought of this thread when I saw that. That’s a decent discount on an already cheap-ish console.