Scam (Internet and Otherwise) Omnibus Thread

I received an email a couple of days ago. The sender’s email address was the name of a friend of mine@aol. The email was also “signed” with her name. The email started out with Happy Easter and then said to let her know if I received this email as she had something to ask me. I haven’t been in touch with this friend for a couple of years so my first thought was maybe she wasn’t sure of my email address. So I emailed back - I received your email!

Then I get this:

Great to hear from you, Actually I need you to get a GOOGLE PLAY GIFT CARD for a friend who is down with Liver Cancer, it’s her birthday today and I promised to get it for her, but I can’t do this now because I’m currently out of town and all my effort purchasing it online proved abortive. Can you get it from any store around you for me? I’ll reimburse you once I return. Please let me know if you can handle this so I can tell you the amount and how to get them to me.

Hope to read back from you soon.

Well, she did “read” back from me. I replied, SCAM!!!

That doesn’t really narrow it down much.

Only slightly less improbable is the legendary anecdote about a scammer during the era of the South Sea Bubble in England, circa 1720, who promised fabulous profits to those who invested in “A company for carrying on an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is.”

We’ve had this one at work. Someone checks out our website staff directory page, and sends an email to all the staff, first thing in the morning with a spoofed address from the unit admin assistant. Something something about getting gift cards because yadda yadda…

The return email is not to the admin account. They don’t even have to hack into any email systems to do this.

So, you’re saying there may be more than one suspicious looking woman (or man) with large breasts in Miami? You may be right. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yet another thread about a common scam, automated messages regarding your car’s extended warranty.

Just found this one in my inbox. Yep, same tracking number, complete with “us” prefix.

Subset of a previously noted scam, in how the checks (in this case, cashier’s check) end up working against you, specific to a commonly used forum, Craigslist. Linking again to an awesome explanation given early in the thread.

All Credit to @Cleophus - just wanted his entire message here for the searchability. From thread Is everyone on craigslist a scam artist?

One thing I don’t understand – if it’s a cashier’s check and your bank accepts it as such and credits you, it’s it the bank’s fault that it screwed up? Obviously, it should be better at finding bad cashier’s checks than the average bozo.

If it accepts the check as a cashier’s check (and credits your account immediately), the bank should be the one out of the money.

They write the rules that you have to follow, and the rules say you are responsible. Period.

Yep.

And as noted above, they have to treat cashier’s checks as genuine and credit them right away. Rather odd that there are no verification tools that let them verify such a check almost immediately; I suspect they could, but just don’t want to. Which is foolish, as it would save the banks SOOOOO much hassle (not to mention protecting innocent consumers, and stopping the complicit ones in their tracks).

Our latest frequent scams: the car warranty ones (usually come to my cell phone), and the Medicare enrollment ones. I just cleared out a bunch of messages from our home phone voicemail, from a bunch of different numbers, and all were identical recorded messages. I’m actually a little surprised that a message was left - most roboscams don’t.

The car warranty ones have occasionally been from a live human, with an accent suggesting they are NOT from India - one “American” English, another with a slight Hispanic accent. Those two were particularly memorable as they asked for (not me) by name, and with the second one, I was prepared with a sob story (literally) about how the person requested had died in a wreck in that same car, a few weeks before.

Others we or family members have run into:

The Grandparent Scam. - my MIL was briefly taken in by this

Mugged Overseas (a friend of mine was bemused to find out that evidently she’d a) been to England that week, and b) reached out to me for help)

Various Amazon scams, including this one which sounds like what my MIL also nearly fell for. The scammer got quite threatening over the phone.

Microsoft refund scams, where you’re “owed money” but they HAVE to direct deposit it, and will helpfully talk you through logging into your bank account (after installing backdoor software). MIL ALSO went far too far on falling for this one (you see a pattern here, right?).

And a fun trick where a fake tax return is filed, the money actually goes to YOU, and the scammers then pretend to be the IRS and demand the money back. If you’re wondering whether MIL fell for it… not quite. She called us the day the check arrived (since the scammers likely had outdated bank info for direct deposit), and asked what it could be about. Even without researching, I told her it was likely some kind of scam. FIL is the one who tried, repeatedly, to fall for it. He really, really, really, really wanted to take that check to the bank, ask them if it was real (it was - it was issued by a bank that does business with Intuit), and deposit it. Even after we told him it was a scam, he kept talking about trying to deposit it. We finally had MIL take the check away and write VOID on the front (then she actually tore it up - OK - and THREW IT AWAY - not OK, as it might have been needed for evidence). To the best of my knowledge, the scammers never actually contacted the parents, which was a surprise - maybe “they” logged onto their Intuit account and saw that a check had been mailed or something. Also, we helped the parents file a fraud report with the IRS. This DID delay their stimulus payments, though they eventually got them. AND, Intuit tried to bill them for a filing fee (which struck me as odd; the scammers would have had that taken out of the refund, so they didn’t risk any of their own $$). Luckily, a quick call from MIL made that go away.

Unemployment scams (something I had a lot of visibility into, last year). Not just filing a fraudulent unemployment claim, but just under a year ago there was a MAJOR rash of claimants who responded to text messages “from” the Department of Labor in their state, to follow a link and log into their accounts to make sure they were in good standing or something. The scammers used this to change direct deposit information… to scam accounts. And the whole process of applying for, and receiving, such benefits is such a clusterfuck that people had been conditioned to be unsurprised when their money didn’t arrive for a week or two… so it went on FAR longer than it should have.

I’ve got an advance fee scammer going. Typical story of a dead person, box of money and we’ve tracked you down as his heir.

Long story short, he sent me his ID and passport (both badly faked, naturally) and requested my person details [Atomic Shrimp] “You know, the kind you never give out to a random stranger on the Internet”. [/Atomic Shrimp] and ID.
This is what he based his passport on. Picture crooked and where he erased the letters was clearly visible. Also, the lettering he put in didn’t match the original or line up.

He used a similar template(both sides) for his ID badge.

I sent back my usual fake details including that I’m a retired keel-hauler, I’m a serial widower and I can only use email as an industrial accident destroyed my larynx.

I sent him this ID.
Imgur

The latest is he is preparing the claims paperwork so it appears he bought the bullshit.

Screwing with scammers is fun but evil. May your additional time in purgatory be light. But who am I to judge?

Let he who has not baited a scammer themselves be the first to cast scorn.

Hah - I immediately recognized the address on that fake ID (it’s GSA headquarters)

Evil why?

In the traditional sense that two-wrongs don’t make a right?

Scamming a scammer = still being a scammer. But as I said, I’m not one to cast scorn, having done the same. And that in terms of moral harm, doing so to scum-sucking individuals who often are preying on the weakest members of society is a very, Very VERY minor amount in comparison.

I just don’t want to even to a minor degree be the same as that sort of scum anymore. I’m more impressed with a few anti-scammers who spend time trying to get them to think about what would happen to their own family and parents if they did the same. Not that most scammers have a heart to care by the time they contact us.

And another new Scam thread, just linking to increase our database, but this one looks pretty well done in terms of looking authentic with few to no easy giveaways -

Ah, but the time you’re engaging the scammer is time they’re not emailing a poor granny in Hoboken. And if you can get them really frustrated, maybe they’ll quit their job.

A friend strung a scammer on and when the scammer realized it, my friend asked him “Wouldn’t it break your mother’s heart if she knew what you’re doing to innocent people?” The guy started screaming and yelling and crying… the question clearly got to him.

So screwing with scammers is fun and the opposite of evil.

I’ve gotten text messages saying “Pay your Verizon bill today and get 50%off.” I expect the link given in the message body leads to a fake Verizon bill-paying site.

Thank you @ParallelLines . I should have put it here instead of starting a new thread.

You’re welcome, but nothing wrong with putting together your own thread - I just wanted a place to at least put all the links together for someone searching. It’s not like there isn’t a metric ton of various Scam threads out there for good (bad?) reason.