Schilling's latest comments on Bonds & Big Mac.

Even in pinstripes. Hell, I’ll be rooting for A-Rod to beat him even if he’s wearing a Giants uniform when he does it!

Do adult men often spontaneously gain 18 pounds of muscle? :wink: The foot size thing doesn’t mean much on its own, but three sizes, plus the alleged hat size gain AND the muscles…

Dude, I think I’ve probably made clear my general feelings about the Yankees - I think they and their owner drink human misery to sustain their undead existences - but if A-Rod gets a new Yankee contract, I will root for him to hit a home run in every single regular season at bat until he passes Bonds. Even against the Red Sox. Even against the Mets.

Is it really just 18? I mean, Barry looks to me to have gone from about 185 to 230 over the course of his career. I’m not putting all of that up to juicing; most men put on bone and muscle between age 20 and age 35. But he’s gotten HUGE.

No. I don’t see why it matters. It’s added nothing new to the discussion.

There’s already at least one admitted cheater in the Hall. Not sure why Bonds should be treated differently.

But then, I’m one of the few people that has no problem with athletes using performance enhancing drugs. It’s not like athletes haven’t been looking for a chemical edge for decades & decades now.

…during the 2000 offseason alone, yes.

Wee Bairn:

Cite?

I am glad to hear it. I will be rooting for him to do it even if he was wearing a Red Sox uniform. It is nice to see what Bonds can do for the sports. He can unite fans in hating him more than any team or rival. :wink:

Jim

2 1/2 sizes, not 3- my bad :wink:

Excerpt from MSNBC.com:

Equally startling are these numbers: According to Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, the San Francisco Chronicle reporters who wrote “Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal That Rocked Professional Sports,” Mike Murphy, equipment manager of the San Francisco Giants, testified that since Bonds became a Giant in 1993, the size of his uniform jersey has gone from 42 to 52. His cap size has expanded from 7 1/8 to 7 1/4, even though while it was expanding he shaved his head. (Bonds reportedly shaved his head because his hair was falling out as a result of steroid use.) And Fainaru-Wada and Williams also say Murphy testified that Bonds’s baseball shoe size has changed from 10½ to 13.

Ah, Fainaru-Wadu and Williams. :rolleyes: Thanks.

(The rolleyes is for them, not for you. I’m not impressed with what I’ve heard about their intellectual rigor and honesty.)

Costas is short. So I mus assume the nuances of sport go right over his head. If he were fat he would be even less an expert.

Armstrong has in fact successfully sued someone for saying he doped. It isn’t worth his expenses to sue everyone on a biking forum, but I’m going to let you be the one to write an official newspaper article with your own byline saying that he doped, so you can be the one paying the court costs.

I liked Costas’ response to Bonds:

I have a question I’ve been meaning to ask. Is it even possible for steroids to make your head bigger? How, exactly would that work? Would your actual skull get bigger? It sounds like a ridiculous question, but that’s always bugged me when Bonds’ hat size is brought up.

Yes, and Liberace once won a libel suit against a London paper that either implied or explicitly stated that he preferred the company of men :wink:

Heh. Lethal counterpunch. At least as striking as Costas’ return jab is the fact that he just comes right out and says he thinks Bonds is juiced. Reputable talking heads are getting less and less shy about saying that, aren’t they?

By itself, a refusal to sue over libel or slander doesn’t mean much. I mean, every week, supermarket tabloids make outrageous and demonstrably false claims about one celeb or another, and most of the time, the celebs decide (rightly) that a lawsuit just isn’t worth the time and money.

So, if Barry had taken NO legal action of ANY kind against the authors of “Game of Shadows,” a fan could argue that BArry had elected simply to ignore the controversy and hope it went away on its own.

But while Barry didn’t sue for libel, he DID take all kids of legal action against the authors. First, he tried to stop publication and then he tried to deny the authors all monies received from sales of the book.

In short, Barry DIDN’T ignore the book and DIDN’T elect to take the high road, and definitely was NOT above taking legal action against the authors. In fact, a libel suit is about the ONLY legal action he HASN’T taken.

Which means Schilling is right. Obnoxious, maybe, but 100% right.

For a lot of people wondering “why doesn’t he sue for libel?”, the time and money thing is a red herring. The assumption is that Bonds has to avoid initiaiting a civil suit because then evidence of his wrongdoing may well become public record.

When Canseco and McGuire ran out on the field a few years ago ,I remarked to my son ,they are doing steroids. It was obvious. Sorry but Bonds has the same look without a decent personality to get him a pass. I would like to see Clemens get checked. There are quite a few looking fishy. But if pitchers are doing it too, it all evens out.
Better yet , ignore the whole thing. It is none of my business what they are willing to do to play better.