Schmigadoon season 2 (Spoilers be here)

I’m loving season 2 and all the different plays being parodied.
Especially loving the Godspell and Sweeney Todd bits in episode 3.

Anyone else watching this series at all?

Episode 3 was astonishingly good, and really set a new high.

This guy breaks the references down in fine detail: Schmigadoon! 2X03 BREAKDOWN! All The Easter Eggs, References, And BTS Info You May Have Missed! - YouTube

I watched both seasons recently. I enjoyed them both, but I was less interested in some of the non-jokey songs they had in Season 2. Overall the humour on the show was a bit hit-and-miss for me, with more hits than misses.

I liked season two much more than season one. Now that it is schmiggadon, I’m wondering if there will be a third season, and what they could tackle in that.

It was renewed.

No clue to what group of plays they’ll tackle.

If they are dumb enough to go back a third time it would serve them right to get stuck in Schmess Schmiserables.

Timewise, they will soon bump up against the Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. I laughed at the very creative takeoffs of some of the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar in season two, so I’m looking forward to see what they will do with Evita and Phantom of the Opera (and others).

I thought the Season 2 plot was more interesting and the songs were impressive pastiches, but I only found it intermittently funny (although I got a quite a few chuckles out of the Godspell/Jesus Christ Superstar parts)

If it’s progressing through eras, then likely it will be Andrew Lloyd Webber. He was arguably the biggest influence on Theatre in the 80s.

I wonder if they need Andrew Lloyd Webber’s permission or blessing to parody his style of songwriting.

I’m a big fan of Pippin, which is maybe the single show most referenced in S2, so I loved it. S1 was good, but my wife and I both preferred S2, maybe because it was exactly our wheelhouse of shows we grew up with. The older style of musical referenced in S1 was always more a stereotype-to-mock than something we were non-ironic fans of.

S3 I would assume would be Cats/Phantom/Les Miz, possibly going as far as Rent. Kind of depends whether they want to do a S4, in which case maybe S4 is Rent through the present.