Sci/fantasy themed rock that isn't cringe worthy?

The Sword - Warp Riders* is a SF story about a wizard who can travel thru all of time and space and his epic battle against some kind of time-travelling horde that rides dragons thru space.
*(That link is to my blog, and the article there has links to several videos.)

I suppose I should add thistp the list.

<starts eying the exits warily>

How about Major Tom combined with images from 2001.

Ha! I was going to post the same thing. Apparently Elizabeth Sladen loved that song.

Spacehog’s In The Meantime is a really cool song.

The lyrics of Sonic Youth’s masterpiece, Daydream Nation, are highly influenced by William Gibson’s Neuromancer.

The text for the Verne quotes in the first come from the Penguin translation (fortunately not the old “standard” translation that changed the character’s names, so "Lindenbrock"ijnexplicably became “Hardwigg”), but Wakeman himself seems to have written the second, which the editor in me wants to tear up. The story is awful and he misuses words. But I really do like the music – I can’t agree that it’s mediocre.

Here’s a set, for various definitions of the phrase “cringe worthy”

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Traveller
Based on the SF RPG of the same name

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Based on the Simarillion

Nox Arcana - Necronomicon
Based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft

Intergalactic Touring Band
Cheesy 70s pop album about the eponomous band

Jefferson Starship - Blows Against the Empire
Concept album - revolutionaries hijack a starship

Klaatu - Hope
Concept album - Starship discovers ruins of a fallen civilization

Got to make sure Genesis’ “Watcher of the Skies” gets mentioned before we hit Page 2.

FM’s album Black Noise is full of SciFi-themed songs like Phasors on Stun and Slaughter in Robot Village.

I’m a big fan of Blue Oyster Cult’s Godzilla.

Oh no, they say he’s got to go
Go go Godzilla!
Yeah!
Oh, no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla!

With a great riff.

I thought about mentioning the word misuse. The first one was clearly incredibly abridged, but good for the limitations of an LP. As for the music on the second, I kind of liked Ozzy’s song the best, but for the most part they had relatively little to do with the story. Not giving the characters names is a big sin in my book - the expedition was so secret they didn’t even tell each other, apparently.
I love the first album, so I was very disappointed in the second, since I had high hopes.

A fair number of the songs on Queen’s first two albums would qualify under “fantasy-themed”; I’m particularly partial to “Ogre Battle” from Queen II.

How about something that’s only partly cringe inducing?
ELP’s KarnEvil9, first and third movements (from Brain Salad Surgery) have phenomenal music, and virtuosic keyboard and percussion performances. For me, that almost obscures the godawful pretentious lyrics.

Not so much scifi themed, but The Residents sure sound as if they live in other worlds.

I suppose you’d have to mention Gary Numan, at least when he started out. His first couple of albums were massively inspired by William Burroughs and Philip K Dick. In fact the run of Tubeway Army, Replicas, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon all reek of Dangerous Visions-era New Wave sci-fi paranoia. He was soundly mocked for copying David Bowie’s look, but his taste in sci-fi was much better.

You can sort of skip everything he did for the next fifteen years, and then start up again with Sacrifice. But that’s more goth/horror than sci-fi.

Donald Fagen’s first two albums, The Nightfly and Kamakiriad, both touch on sci-fi (the latter is a sci-fi concept album) although they’re really about other things. And you can use them to demo your hi-fi system. Can’t do that with Gary Numan; people will think your hi-fi is broken.

ELP’s “Tarkus” album, I guess. I think it might be kind of cringe-ish – not my favorite, anyway – but there’s an armadillo with a flame thrower or something on the album jacket, so I guess that’s kind of fantasy or something.

Just saw the above on ELP – I actually like “Karn Evil 9.” That’s some pretty scary keyboard playing – as in scary chops.

Guitar Wolf, “Jet Generation” album counts as sci-fi, I think.

Not Sci-fi at all, but on Brain Salad Surgery ELP does an awesome version of the hymn “Jerusalem”. :slight_smile:

I second Uriah Heep, Demons and Wizards, and third Jefferson Starship’s Blows Against the Empire.

Thanks for the YouTube link.
Grace Slick I knew about but Jerry Garcia?!?