sci-fi and action movies, guns, magazine replacement

Hi

What’s that thing called that appears in a lot of sci-fi and action movies, that people holding a handgun gun in each hand use, they are our of bullets, they eject the spent magazines on the floor or whatever, reach around behind their back, and activate some device that pushes fully loaded magazines into the gun?

They replace the magazines off camera. Everyone knows that.

That, or they use the same sort of TARDIS-like clothing that allowed Duncan MacLeod and his friends on Highlander to comfortably carry and conceal full-sized swords in the open while wearing nothing more voluminous than a leather jacket or a trenchcoat.

They replace the magazines off camera. Everyone knows that.

That, or they use the same sort of TARDIS-like clothing that allowed Duncan MacLeod and his friends on Highlander to comfortably carry and conceal full-sized swords in the open while wearing nothing more voluminous than a leather jacket or a trenchcoat.

It’s quite possible to comfortably conceal a full-sized sword or two under a trenchcoat. I know this from experience.

To the OP, I’ve never seen anyone in a movie reload a gun by reaching behind es back. The nearest I can think of is that the Good Guy is carrying a lot of guns, and drops the old one to draw a pre-loaded spare.

Lara Croft in the original Tomb Raider movie has such a device as the OP describes: when her 9mm’s run out of ammo, she reaches behind her back and her backpack extends a little rack full of spare mags for no-look auto-reloading. However, I’m pretty sure that no such device exists in real life.

You just aren’t looking closely enough.

There was some form of that in Equilibrium, where ammo (and the handguns themselves) were stored in an extending mechanism up the character’s sleeves.

Are the other Scifi guys actually reloading their weapons, or could they simply be dropping them, and retreiving loaded ones tucked into hidden holsters?

That’s with a semi. Really impressive is someone who can quick-load a revolver in a second or two.

Experience predating 9/11/01, I hope!

Otherwise . . . :eek:

As for the OP, bear in mind that a Mac 10 fired on full automatic will exhaust its 30-round clip in 1.8 seconds, and if the weapon were somehow hooked up to a bottomless magazine, continuous fire would cause it to melt down very shortly.

Movie where people reload:
The Terminator:shotgun, .45, Uzi, AR-18
Aliens: Vazquez reloads her pistol in the airshaft
The Fly II: Head goon reloads is MP-5
The Big Red One:multiple
Blackhawk Down:multiple(although the belt on the M249 is stationary during the last scenes)

There can be only one!

I saw this fella do just that on TV a while back. Six shots, reload, six shots, in under three seconds.

To pull off stunts like that, fast shooters use what is called a speedloader, which can reload all six chambers of the revolver at once with just a twist.

Webley revolvers and Enfield No 2 Mk I revolvers are amazingly fast to reload, since the spent cases auto-extract as you break the gun open. Combine that wtih a speedloader (a speedloader for an S&W “K” frame revolver works perfectly with the .38/200 Webley Mk IV and the .38/200 Enfield No 2 Mk I), and you’ve got a ROF which compares very favourably to a semi-auto pistol…