Scientifically inaccurate songs

Yeah, wooshity wooshity woosh woosh.

For purposes of the OP, I couldn’t get past the title, myself…

How the fuck did Janet get an autograph from the sun?! That paper would’ve burned right up!

From an engineering standpoint, a stairway to heaven is impossible.

Coast to coast, L.A. to… Chicago?

Okay, so it’s geographically inaccurate. Not quite the same thing, then.

Well, she is from a future world. Paper is undoubtedly more resilient then/there.

Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven.

In Airegin, on The Manhattan Transfer’s classic album Vocalese (music by Sonny Rollins, lyrics by Jon Hendricks) Cheryl Bentyne sings:

Leaving aside the quibble that brontosauruses did not, technically, exist, Mr. Hendricks erred in placing dinosaurs contemporaneous with both mammoths and with men.

I do not wish to entertain rebuttals from Dr. Gish.

A song from the justifiably forgotten Disney film, “Moon Pilot” - “Seven Moons Of Beta Lyrae”. Beta Lyrae is a star, and has planets, not moons.

From Raymond Scott’s “By Rocket to the Moon” - “Six million million miles away, that’s the nearest star.” That number is about 1 light-year. The Centauri system is 4.3 ly away.

One that is on the radio right now (not to mention just a lame “Og this woman is out of original ideas” tune):

Seems like you’re gonna fail every time. Light traveling faster than sound and all. (Plus with rolling thunder, being a more sustained sound, you’re going to have quite a bit of time to react before you can even begin to define it properly as “rolling”)

God help me, I remember that movie, and that song:
"Seven moons above

Seven times the love."
I don’t think anyone has shown a linear correlation between the amount of moonage and the amount of lovin’.

Going to pick nits here. The lyric is “The thunder rolls, and the lightning strikes.” (cite: a guitar tablature book I own of Mr. Brooks’ songs) If anything, the lyric implies simultaneous action, which is technically correct (even if distance mars perception).

Feel like clarifying since I posted the same error for a different song (see above).

Timed out, so there may be a double (triple?) post. Let’s do the time warp again (oh my what fun we could have with the songs from that show in this thread)

I dunno, if you get mooned by the right person…

Is that Fred Astaire’s version, or Lionel Ritchie’s?

Pretty much any way you slice it. If the Bible account is true, then the song is inaccurate. If the Bible account is false, then the song is still inaccurate.

What miracle? That’s the point. Either way, God did not turn stones to bread.

Regards,
Shodan

In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

which also happens to be one of my all-time favorite lines. It screws up the science, but gets the sentiment exactly right. Hey, they oughta call stuff like that “art”!! :cool:

OTOH, Monty Python’s Galaxy Song pretty much got everthing right

The Ramone’s Lobotomy: “Now I guess I gotta tell 'em/That I got no cerebellum” is not, to coin a phrase, brain surgery. Great lyric, though.

I also have to take issue with the claim that “There’s never been a planet Janet hasn’t seen.” Given the billions of years it would likely take for a race of humanoids with jet-propulsive colons (as indicated on Janet and her “Comet Team”) to evolve, I have no trouble imagining a solar system forming and at least some of its members subsequently being destroyed by its central star’s giant, supergiant or supernova phase, while Janet’s ancient ancestors were still in the rocket-butt-simian stage of development.

“One day in a nuclear age
They may understand our rage
They build machines that they can’t control
And bury the waste in a great big hole
Power was to become cheap and clean
Grimy faces were never seen
But deadly for twelve thousand years is Carbon 14…

“We Work the Black Seam” by Sting, a little ditty about how nuclear power is dangerous and is going to put coal miners out of work. Fine, but…

Carbon 14 is deadly? Forget about nuclear power and quit eating plants. Hell, there’s Carbon 14 in the coal. :smack: