Scientifically inaccurate songs

I thought they did. Well I am sure the majority of the people in Christopher Colombus’s time didn’t believe him since most were illiterate.

Now you’re just being petty and attacking religion for no good reason.

How is “Amazing Grace,” for instance, scientifically inaccurate? What scientific claims does it make? (God’s existence is a METAPHYSICAL assertion, not a scientific one.)

Merely seeing his name presented like this is funnier than anything else in this thread.

Sailboat

Actually the lyrics specify that Marconi played the mamba. I think that turning poinsonous snakes into musical instruments may overshadow radio as an innovation, but it may untrue. However that would go in a “historical innaccuracies” thread.

Nope, it was common knowledge that the world was round, at least among the educated classes. The size of the world was in question.

Illiteracy aside, the educated people of Columbus’ day generally agreed that the world was indeed round. Their disagreement with Columbus was that they thought it was BIGGER than he did – and they were right.

The illiterate people probably had no idea Columbus existed, much less was planning a voyage, and so probably didn’t laugh at him.

It’s a modern fallacy to imagine that everyone back then thought the world was flat.

Sailboat

“He took a hundred pounds of clay to make my life worth livin’”

No…wait a minute…in Kansas that is science.

“The sun is a mass of incandescent gas”

What the FUCK were they thinking??!

Maybe I’m being wooshed here but…isn’t it? I mean, AFAIK, that song is accurate. Things might be simplified down a bit, but I thought it was correct.

“In a time where **dinosaurs **walked the earth, when the land was swamp and caves were home […] to search for landscapes **men **would roam”

Iron Maiden - Quest for Fire

It doesn’t bother me, but for many Maiden fans, this lyric ruins the song.

“Walk the Dinosaur” by Was Not Was. The whole song.

“‘The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one,’ they said…”

The odds are, I imagine, considerably worse than that.

I do not believe the list of ingredients in “Love Potion no. 9” would create an actual love potion.

In the song “30,000 pounds of Bananas” I do not believe that all 30,000 pounds of bananas would end up mashed. Some of them, certainly, but you would not have 30,000 pounds of mashed bananas.

From We Are the World -

Jesus did not turn stones to bread. He was tempted to do so after fasting for forty days and nights, but He refused. “Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.”

Matthew 4:1-4.

Regards,
Shodan

So that would be a Theologically inaccurate song, then.

(Or maybe Scripturally inaccurate)

But Science would seem irrelevant to a miracle, in any case.

“Thunder only happens when it’s raining…”

Of course, it is a scientific fact that players only love you when they’re playing.

I’m a Neanderthal man, you’re a Neanderthal girl,
Let’s make Neanderthal love in this Neanderthal world.

“I can feel St. Elmo’s Fire burning in meehee…”

Actually, St. Elmo’s Fire is an external phenomenon.

Another historically inaccurate song - Crusader by Chris De Burgh. I love the song, but the innaccuracies in the song make me wince after I’m done jamming to it.

From “Once Upon A Time” sung by Frank Sanatra (and later Lorrie Morgan)
Once upon a hill
We sat beneath a willow tree
Counting all the stars and waiting for the dawn
But that was once upon a time
Now the tree is gone

Willow trees don’t grow up on hills. Willow trees grow down by the water. Water is usually found in valleys. Sometimes the water (if it’s flowing) actually created the valley.

I think it’s been fairly well established that it’s carbon (chemical symbol C), and if System of a Down has some solid evidence to refute this, I wish they’d put it in a peer-reviewed journal rather than some ditty.