Songs with incorrect basic premises

For instance, Aretha sings, “Your love is like a seesaw, moving up, down and all around …”

Sorry, Aretha, I don’t know what love is like, maybe a rollercoaster (?), but if it moves all around it ain’t a seesaw. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dierks Bentley – “Sweet & Wild”

Taste of your love
Sweet and wild as berries
From a summer vine

Berries don’t grow on vines. They grow on canes and runners.

There’s a Sammy Hagar song where he makes a reference to “cherries on a vine”.

Oops again.

Is love a rose, a razor, a river, a hunger, a power, something there’s too little of, just a song we sing, or all we need?

“Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey.

Just a city boy
Born and raised in South Detroit

So, um, Windsor, Ontario then?

*“Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars;
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars.”
I don’t even know what “play among the stars” is supposed to mean.

And Jupiter’s axial tilt is a mere 3 degrees, so there isn’t any spring to speak of. And if you were on Jupiter or Mars, you’d have more immediately life-threatening concerns than seeing “what spring is like.”

No. The Southern part of Detroit.

Grapes. :smiley:

Gerry Rafferty: “You’re as constant as the Northern Star, the brightest light that shines.”
Polaris is only the 50th brighest star in the sky.

U2: “Early morning, April 4th, shot rings out in the Memphis sky.”
Refers to Martin Luther King’s assassination. Except MLK was shot in late afternoon, not early morning.

Aha! But it would have been morning in Ireland! :smiley:

Charlene: “Oh I’ve been to Nice and the isle of Greece”

Greece is a peninsula.

Vanessa Williams’ “Save the Best for Last” has this:

“Sometimes the snow comes down in June
Sometimes the sun goes 'round the moon.”

“The Night Chicago Died” by Paper Lace.

Daddy was a cop
On the east side of Chicago

So, um, in the lake, then?

Downriver.

There’s a couple of posts defending this line. Really? As a lyric, it just clanks.

As for songs with incorrect premises, gotta go with Steve Miller - the man doesn’t know his pompatus from a hole in the ground ;).

“Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry”…um, aren’t levees supposed to be dry? and what is “American Pie”? I have had cherry pie, apple pie, pecan pie…but never American Pie.

This planet has an entire southern hemisphere, and in that hemisphere, June is midwinter.

I am, in fact, posting from the southern hemisphere, and it is currently summer here.

Maybe it’s a shitty lyric but the premise is fine. I’m from West L.A. (Also in a song). That’s what we called it. No one ever said “lol you mean the Pacific Ocean.”

No. Winter starts on June 21st there. June is late Fall/early Winter.

“Shake Your Love” by Debby Gibson…how do you “shake” your love? Is it like shaking your bootie?

Well, not according to all definitions