Scientology magazine goes after St. Pete Times.

Apparently they were none too happy about the multi-part series the paper ran earlier this year about them.
Make of it what you will.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=175304

No one takes $ientology seriously.

It’s very telling that the most litigious church in the world chose to publish an article attacking the Times on an unrelated matter instead of suing.

Well, I can make a hat, or a brooch, or a pterodactyl…

Well, it sounds like the St. Pete times is some corrupt shit, and deserved to taken on. Unfortunately, that means, “score one for you, Scientology!”

The St. Pete Times isn’t corrupt, so far as I know although I’ve heard rabid republicans seriously say it is managed by communists. The St. Pete Times does have an anti-Scientology bias, one that I personally support, and they never lose a chance to do an anti-scientology article. Not that their articles ever do a thing but piss off the Scientologists, but that’s a good thing to do in my opinion.

Exactly, those stories were very unflattering. But if there was anything in them at all that reeked of libel, or if there was anything about the reporters’ methods that seemed unkosher, the organization would have happily tried suing the paper’s ass and its balls off.

If the St. Pete Times were corrupt, then Scientology calling them out on it would just be a case of “it takes one to know one”.

Eh, not so much. The St. Pete Times does have a serious hard-on for Scientology, for a long time now, but it doesn’t make them corrupt. Maybe you’d just have to live here to know the dynamic, but for instance, we usually have paper sellers that sit on every street corner and sell papers for $1. When the scientology articles came out, the Scienos went around and bought every paper they could find to keep people from being able to read them. :rolleyes:

I support any airing of Scientology dirty laundry, regardless of the institution that takes on the airing. It just usually happens to be the StP Times.

I certainly couldn’t wade through that article (which, btw, appears to indict not the St. Petersburg Times, but its parent company, and a sister publcation, Congressional Quarterly). Does anyone have a link to the unflattering articles that were printed about Scientology?

All that article does is rehash the details of a lawsuit against Congressional Quarterly. I was working at CQ at the time of the incident, and the lawsuit is complete BS. The woman at FNS took a good company and ran it into the ground, going bankrupt in the process. She basically made up a bunch of stuff and is trying to recoup some of her losses. She is hoping for a settlement - it is basically a nuisanse suit.

I think this is what you’re looking for: http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/reports/project/

That’ll teach 'em.

Yeah, those guys are probably begging the Times to write more articles about the whackos.