Scrabble. I love Scrabble. Don't you love Scrabble?

I love Scrabble! I used to always play it all the time although I haven’t done so in quite a while. My best game ever was somewhere around 500-600 points for a game in which I got three 7-letter words!

Yeah, I’ve read about that: Thai’s and the like memorising all the two and three letter words in the Scrabble handbook, and kicking everyone’s arses, while not speaking a word of English. In my family, the rule is that if you can’t use it correctly in a sentence {no recourse to dictionaries allowed - Chambers is the standard reference}, it’s not allowed.

If a Filipino asks you to play Scrabble to ‘help me practice my English,’ run away.

I hate scrabble.

I love scrapple.

Is there a scrapple appreciation thread?

We Brits have all the obscene and unpleasant words. They exist even if we don’t like them. And we need more young female players. Women players under about 40 are very rare indeed…Ladies come, there’ll be loads of blokes to choose :slight_smile:

Bumped.

I love Scrabble, although I prefer Bananagrams - all the wordplay fun of Scrabble, but faster-paced and not as static: Bananagrams - Wikipedia

Just saw this cartoon, too: Scrabble victories Framed Print by Emily Flake - Fine Art America

My wife and I play Scrabble quite seriously, if not quite well.

My (late) parents decades-old Scrabble™ game has instructions that are appendixed with some alternate rules to play by. I’ve never tried the one where you can pick up a blank tile that has been used if you have the letter it represents and use it how you see fit sounds like a big improvement and prevent game from getting “locked-up.”

I love scrabble too, of course. :smile:

A great read for any Scrabble lover:
https://www.amazon.com/Word-Freak-Heartbreak-Obsession-Competitive/dp/0142002267/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=word+freaks&qid=1600450414&sr=8-1

I for one play the scrabble game from Microsoft.

Scrabble has always been one of my favorite Board games.

Also I moved the thread to the Game Room, this forum didn’t exist when the thread was started.

There is a web site called Pixie Pit where you can play thru your email (that is, play when you have time) and play against any email buddies you have. The site has Super Scrabble as well. I’ve been playing friends there for years, probably at least 10 year. It costs $15 a year and you can play as many games as you like. It has an option of what dictionaries you want to use, I don’t care for SOWPODS or COLLINS. And it has a wordfinder that we turn off. You should look at it.

My personal best was MATTRESSES across 2 triple word boxes for I don’t recall how many points, but over 100. I could calculate it if I wasn’t lazy.

The one thing I tell people just starting is that it’s more about math than words, as someone upthread pointed out. My sibs and I started playing when my Dad was Dx with ALZ, as a means to maybe make our brains keep functioning.

Scrabble is okay but I prefer Quiddler. Up to ten people can play and the pace is more swift. By the way, you can play standard Scrabble on the Super Scrabble board just use the hundred tiles from the original distribution of tiles and the center 15 by 15 grid of the game board.

Does anyone play Scrabble in other languages? French Scrabble is interesting, since you can keep adding on to verbs (-er, -era, -erai, -erais, etc.).

Or 'duplicate Scrabble"? Very popular in French-speaking countries. You play as individuals, and there is a “master board” with a referee who draws the letters which all players use. You have a time limit to write down your choice; the pieces of paper are collected; and the best-scoring word is put on the master board. You keep score of your choices, and place the letters on your board as they are on the master board. High score wins.

Also mentioned in post #11.

Ah, thanks.