Screw U2 , Bono!

Hate him for everything after Zooropa, sure. But for helping out with awareness of AIDS?

Shame on you, Ralph.

I think I have an inkling of what the OP was bugged about. Seems that Bush/congress has authorized a huge increase in spending towards the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

Seems that for some reason, that $$ aren’t actually getting there yet, some amount of red tape buracracy.

Seems that Bono made some statements about that after a recent concert for AIDS in South Africa (I think), in particular, one that gave a number of people who would die of AIDS in africa during the expected red-tape-pulling off amount of time.

I figured all this out, 'cause Bono was on the TOday show and Katie was asking him about it, seeming to expect a scathing rebuke from Bono.

HOwever, Bono backed away from his eariler outburst, saying he was frustrated by the delay 'cause he knew how desperate the situation was, but that he thought all Americans should be proud of Bush/Congress (naming both Dems and Reps) for supporting the effort, that he understood the delay, but when faced by the realities of the AIDS workers there, it was frustrating, knowing that for lack of funds children were dying.

In particular he mentioned that AIDS workers were faced with the task of deciding which very few folks would get the life saving drugs, and often ended up having to decide to save some one who was needed in the fight, vs., say, their own sister.

anyhow. no cite, just what I recall from the show.

re: rock stars/ agendas etc.

do you also wish to scream about Christopher Reeves and all he’s done for research into spinal injuries? Mike Fox and Parkinsons?

Frankly each of us have our own interests, pet causes and so on, if I could do more for mine, I would. And if that ‘more’ that I could do was trade in on my personal fame (of which there are no limits. well, at least in my small town), hell, why on earth not?

In any event, Bono, in particular seems to have done his homework indeed on this subject. More power to him.

And, most of all - whenever I see a rant like this I think - hell I would MUCH rather prefer rock stars, actors et all making big contributions, etc than corporations who may have a financial stake in the outcome.

but that’s just me.

Noted non-musician (and for that matter, non-ex-baseball player and now non-Treasury Secretary) Paul O’Neill on Bono:

In fact, Bono got some lessons from Jeffery Sachs, an economist from Harvard, before starting his campaign for debt relief.

Yeah, shame on Bono for using his celebrity to further casues like AIDS prevention, starvation and third world debt when he SHOULD be using it for… whatever Christina Aguilera, Eminem, Justin Timber lake and Co are doing which is… uhh… nevermind.

Oh, and shame on him for spending his own time, energy and money on it when he could be buying coke and blowjobs, or a new house and a 14:th car.

Out of all the stupid rants in this forum, this has to take the fucking price. You’re ANGRY about someone volintarily devoting a big chunk of his life towards HELPING other PEOPLE?

And complaining about him coming off as “I’m so pious and humble”, well guess what, maybe he is. Especially compared to you, asshole.

Who’s getting pitted next? Mother Theresa or Nelson Mandela?

Fuck off Ralph124c. Your rant isn’t about any apparent hypocrisy on Bono’s behalf, it’s about your desire not to do anything. Bono’s donated money, time and effort to the AIDS cause. What have you done? Bitched about it on a message board. Go cry about your wallet elsewhere.

You can influence politics and national policy all you want. Go out there and talk about what you want. If people want to listen to you, then good luck to you. If people don’t want to listen to you, that’s no reason to make Bono shut up.

Well, yeah, OK, but other than that he’s been pretty smart.

Well, yeah, OK, but other than that he’s been pretty smart.

Probably even smart enough that he only has to say things once at a time. :smack:

Music-wise, U2 lost me after The Joshua Tree. Good album, but the following albums just didn’t ring my asthetic bells.

I find Bono to be a smart, compassionate, and above all, supremely humane man. The guy does WAY more than just spout a lot of touchy-feely stuff. His actions actually do help people who are powerless.

Now this just makes me itch. The two musicians/groups with the most CDs on my shelves are…U2 and Peter Gabriel.

Having said that;

Once Bono went to the overboard pretentiousness to (supposedly) mock pretentiousness (but in the end seeming to fall victim to it’s allure), I got pretty tired of the posing.

And from now on unclviny, I’m not going to be able to listen to them without hearing “Ok Fudge, play the blues!”.

I think Mother Theresa has been pitted (something about contraception?) but I can’t find it now. (I agree with you otherwise…)

so is ralphy ever going to come back and defend his OP???

Worst. OP. Ever.

I had thought for just a moment that this dimwitted OP was some kind of sarcastic joke.

Too bad I was wrong. It’s actually serious. Seriously screwed-up.

Par for the course for our resident dumbass. Did you notice his GD thread about “learning psychic abilities”? Guy doesn’t have enough brain cells to fill a county jail.

I could make Jesse cry, but it would involve a taser.