Screwup In "The Godfather"?

AMC is running "Mob Week"and I happened to tune in. I think I have spotted a set problem with the Godfather. When Tom Hagen is out Christmas shopping (and is kidnapped by the Turk), it is snowing in midtown Manahttan. In the next scene (the attempted murder of Don Corleone), the streets are bare.
Now, I belive that the Don’s bsiness was located in the Bronx-but why the sno in Manhattan?

Just a couple of guesses…

First, was the attempted hit on Don Corleone explicitly given as happening at the same time, or on the same day?

Second, depending on what the temp had been like before the snowfall, the snow might not have stuck. Especially in an urban area like Manhattan which tends to trap more heat in the streets/sidewalks/etc. The snow could have just melted before the next scene.

My guess is they were on separate days, but I’d have to go re-watch.

Yes. The Turk tells Tom that Vito has been hit, and that the reason they’ve collared him is to get him to talk since into Sonny to prevent a war.

Source

Doesn’t answer the question, but was the Christmas shopping scene the one described here:

And

Dang it. Talk sense into him, of course.

The series is being presented with interviews of several interesting personalities accompanying the showing. I was amazed to see Henry Hill, who if you remember, was played by Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. I thought he was in the witness protection program? They must have made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Hill got kicked out of the Witness Protection Program in the early 90’s…if the mobsters he was mixed up with were still interested in killing him he’d be long dead. Wikipedia says he lives in Topanga Canyon now. Shhhh!

As I recall, he got kicked out because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut about being a mobster. Can’t help folks who don’t want to be helped I guess. :rolleyes:

Hmm… I was thinking he purchased oranges from a street vendor just before being gunned down – but of course that wouldn’t be right for a winter scene in NYC. Where did I get that from?

Yes it would, oranges are a traditional christmas present - tucked into the hanging stockings, or in the case of our family, we got cases of the damned things shipped to us at christmas time from various relatives. One year we had 5 cases of the damned things. I swear we had a gallon of kumquats, and back then we had no idea what to do with kumquats … :smack:

Oranges transported up by train to the Northeast from Florida, even back then. Oranges were a “St. Nicholas Day” present in my family.

Thanks-I like the source.

simple, they cleaned the snow around his office and the fruit stalls (a don might have that privilege,) unlike in the commercial strips where michael and tom were shopping. at least they had a warmer burning.

incomplete. “your boss is dead. yeah, we got him an hour before/after we picked you up.” can’t remember if it’s before or after. that’ll set the time context.

Regarding the oranges: I believe they were also used throughout the film to foreshadow a death or violence or somesuch event… can’t find the source but swear I heard Coppola say that somewhere…

From IMDB:

I don’t know about that…

Paulie - Orange you sorry you called in sick?

Sollozzo/McCluskey - Orange you sorry you let Mike go take a leak?

Apollonia - Orange you sorry you learned to drive?

they don’t want it known but canoli, veal, and gnochi will also kill you.

Well, more to the point, Mobsters will evidently kill you. The orange thing was just anti-Florida propaganda. :smiley:

not anti-LA? it’s mainly in new york, remember?

The mobsters he was mixed up with are all dead. Why Henry the alcoholic isn’t, is anybody’s guess.