SD Republic of Rome; Calling all fans of politics; Backstabbers unite?

A little while ago that most esteemed pretty, fucking, liberal, Maeglin started a thread about Diplomacy, the game. He organized three games of it, and it’s going quite well. For me anyways, I’m enjoying it. It’s been quite enjoyable. So enjoyable in fact, that I thought I’d trot out another game that has brought me enjoyement over the years. That game is Republic of Rome from Avalon Hill.

It’s a game full of intrigue, backstabbing, and politics. It’s not for the faint of heart, the weak of stomache, or the particularly nice people.

It’s for those who find the rules of Diplomacy to simple. It is a complex game, but 95% of it is quite easy. And once you learn it, it flows quite easily.

It can take a bit of time, so be prepared to devote a month or so. I can honestly say I’ve never played it online before.

I’ll volunter my services as the Game Manager, as long as no one else has experience. I’ll try to get together a few games. I’ll also post the rules so you can read over them, feel free to email me with any questions, or post them here in the thread. It can be confusing until you actually dive in and start playing.

Here are the Rules. Btw, the link at that site does not email me, I’ll work on getting all the stuff up on a dedicated SD ROR site. to email me, click the link in my profile or send to treasure_island@mail.com

Naturally I will play.

Gaius Martinus Liberalis.

SPQR

Did you just call Maeglin pretty?

Isn’t it lovely how meaning changes with just one lil’ comma? :wink:

Yes I did dear. You’re not calling him ugly are you?

I will give it a shot, even tho I am a particularly nice person.

yes I am!

Gaius Iulius Caesar was a wimp. Any REAL man would have marched on Rome years before.

(Yes, yes, yes, leave Marius and the rest out of this.)

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve been meaning to buy this for about two years now, but I’ve always put off getting it for one reason or another.

I’d love to give it a try.

Also, I don’t think SPQR is appropriate. Perhaps SPQSDMB.
[sub]If I weren’t tired and at work, I’d try my hand at translating SDMB to Latin. But then, no one would get the joke. Maybe no one will anyway.[/sub]

How 'bout FORVM RECTVM?

:slight_smile:

Hee hee hee hee hee.

Whether it’s because of the caffeine, the sleep deprivation, or the day-old pizza that’s slowly being digested, I found that incredibly funny.

I’ll play, but I don’t have the game and have never played before…does that disqualify me?