SDMB Big League FF 2010

At first, I thought that I would rather go with Points in this league because it is so deep but another part of me sees H2H as the only real equalizer for the 20-team depth factor. After looking through the records of the last two seasons, I do not think that we should switch to points if we are keeping the auction draft. Last season did not have any of the playoffs issues that we saw in our first season.

My vote is to leave the H2H format. I have seen a lot of people just roll over at the end of the season in a points league once they are mathematically eliminated. To be honest, I cannot really blame them much. At least in H2H you can compete to the very end no matter how your season goes.

I think “hide email” is a new default in the options. I assumed that it would leave my email open since its open in my active Fantasy Baseball leagues but apparently Yahoo does privacy changes to Fantasy accounts on a team by team basis.

This is a really good point. Long-term involvement is the most important thing in this league, not a 1:1 skill:results ratio. It’s good to see people fight those last few weeks just to not finish last, and a points league can really send people into despair.

You can get mathematically eliminated faster using a H2H system than a points system, so I’m not sure how that’s inherently superior. We had enough participation last year even amongst the players who were clearly at the bottom of the league that I don’t think people quitting is a concern either way. The motivation not to be last is still there with the points system. If they do, they wouldn’t be invited the next year, and since we have everyone signing up again, I think everyone cares enough about this league to want to stay in it.

I’m also not sure what point you’re making regarding auction drafts and points systems.

Correct. But that’s not why I’m saying H2H is better here.

I’m saying that H2H contributes towards the bottom of the league participating at the end of the season, rather than giving up. I’m in a points league in baseball, and participation drops off pretty heavily at the bottom, even in an extremely competitive league.

I’m pretty agnostic about how we score the league, and am happy to go with whatever everyone else wants, although i will admit that i do like the week-to-week excitement of head-to-head matchups.

If we do go to a points system, one advantage will be a whole loss less whining from SenorBeef about how he has the most points but got screwed by the format. :slight_smile:

If it were me I’d do it more out of spite.

As for as a format I’d prefer the h2h, but I’m not going to freakout if we decide not too.

Find me a bigger screwing anywhere and I’ll stop talking about it :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, one advantage to a points league in regards to late season participation is that if someone stops trying hard, it doesn’t really matter, it only hurts them. Whereas with head to head, a player near last place half-assing it may mean a player competing for a playoff spot wins a game he might not have won if the other player was trying, which screws someone else out of their playoff spots. With H2H, late season quitters damage the legitimacy of the wins and losses and playoff seeds. With a points league, they just dig themselves into a hole.

Motivation to beat someone in your division or a multi year rival trumps motivation to not be last in my book. I would still do my damnedest not to stink up the rankings but I know that I would care more if it was H2H and my season was already over because I would at least get to go down with something else in the W column.

Correlation-Causation. We only have two seasons of the big league to base this on and they were completely different if you compare points versus playoffs. The snake draft year was all over the place but last year basically played out the way it should have if you look at who made playoffs. We only had one major change between the years and I think we should take another year with an auction draft before we kill H2H.

Is there anything in particular that happened last season that really supports a change to a points system?

Well, once the draft is concluded, everyone has their players and plays the game - at that point how the head to head matchups shake out is not based on the draft. The head to head matchups are random - some people will have 1100 points scored against them and be on the right side of all of those matches that come down to 2 points. Others will score more points, but have 1300 points scored against them, and be unlucky enough to lose all of those close games despite scoring above average points. None of that has anything to do with what type of draft it was. So you might as well say “in year one, we had 2 people with team names that started with P. In year two we had zero. Therefore that’s probably what caused the difference in how badly people got screwed by the randomness”

But anyway, you’re right that there were no big injustices in year 2. It’s just that there’s more potential there with the whacky shit with the larger sample size, hence going points-only would be more valuable to this league than a standard one.

I suppose we can easily enough just keep note of the actual scores alongside the actual rankings. That way we could just list the scores and say “the points league version of our league looks like this” and people can take away from that what they’d like.

That’s actually what we do in our money league. Regular season winner get 40%, points winner gets 30%, playoffs winner gets 30%.

With the yahoo draft times starting to fill up, and the time it would take to reach a consensus about a changed draft date with a league this size, I think we’re past the point where we could move the draft.

If it turns out you won’t be able to make it, either try to get a friend to draft for you or some other volunteer, or step down as soon as you know so that someone who can attend the draft can take your spot.

Evil Monkey’s 2 cents:

I liked the H2H in a big league like this. I liked scouting out the week’s (or next week’s) opponent.

Seems to me ( and IANAFFP ) like the big league is for kicks and the H2H keeps it fun.

My vote is to stay the same, l although I would not drop out if the majority pushes for a change.

Oh, yeah, I’ll switch my name back to Up By Three for continuity’s sake, plus we’re no longer Schrodinger’s season anyway.

As far as H2H goes, I like H2H, but at least in a points based system no one gets screwed when someone stops caring, so I’m fine with that.

Also, I’ve made the playoffs both years, why am I in the newbies bracket?

I think the newbie division is more about being new to SDMB leagues, not about being new to fantasy in general.

When the league started people want to do divisions, but couldn’t give me any sort of criteria to base the divisions on. Having no idea how to do divisions, I did them based on how much experience people had in SDMB leagues, with the people new to the big league last year getting stuck in the newbies division. I assume we want divisions to be the same every year, so we’re stuck with it. I could rename them, but I don’t know what to rename them to. Feel free to suggest.

Edit: I haven’t actually moved everyone into the proper division yet, I’ll do that later. So right now is random. Here is what the divisions actually should be.

Are there any options to speed up this years draft? IIRC the biggest time waster was teams not being ready with their queue. If not for SenorBeef playing the bad guy , telling everyone to queue up (thanks Beef), it would’ve taken another hour.

That’s pretty much it. Nominations should be instant. It’s really not all that important who you nominate… I mean, there’s a slight strategy to it, but mostly we just want to get the balling rolling on everyone faster. You could easily queue up 10 people to nominate in 20 seconds. Yet last year every time a nomination came up, everyone was utterly shocked that it was their turn to nominate and then had to think for 45 seconds about who to nominate. Why, I have no idea whatsoever. People might’ve thought I was being a dick by telling people over and over to have someone ready to nominate, but then despite me doing that people would be utterly baffled that it was their turn even though they could clearly see that their turn was coming up, since it goes in order.

What’s really stupid is that you can set the bidding time to 10, 20, or 30 seconds - but for nomination time your options are 30, 45, 60. Why they give a long clock to nominations when they barely matter I have no idea.

So I don’t think I can really do anything. I can hit people in the face over and over again and say BE READY TO NOMINATE SOMEONE but when the time actually comes they’ll be completely shocked by their turn to nominate someone and then apparently go into a panic for 25 seconds where they run around in circles only to finally nominate someone.

I completely agree, done wrong the nomination process can add hours to a league this big. Now later in the draft you don’t want to nominate a player you don’t want. Otherwise if nobody bids your stuck with him, so I can see where you don’t want to just throw a name.

So ill be the first to say it: “Have your players queued up, and ready to go”.

The other issue is that people shouldn’t treat an auction like you can snipe it, but we’ve been good about not doing that. Occasionally certain people like to let the counter get down to 1 before they bid, and I’m not sure what they think they’re accomplishing because it just resets to 10 seconds at that point and there can be no sniping, but like I said, I don’t remember anyone in this league doing it, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Other than that… well, no point in bidding $10 for Adrian Peterson, then having someone else bid $12, and someone else bid $14… when you know he’s going to go for at least $60. Might as well bid $55 or something and get the ball rolling. That hasn’t been a big problem either in our league, but just throwing it out there as a time saving measure.

I don’t want to seem like draft was horrible. It was in fact, the best time of all my SDMB drafts. Just trying to see if there was a way to shorten the time needed.