SDMB Modern Diplomacy Game *anyone - comment away*

Which do you think is more likely?

That wevets will post:

“Game result: Polish victory!”

or

“Game result: Turkish-Egyptian tie!”

?

You continue to miss the point. The goal of the game is to get 33 supply centers, not find an alliance to split the world. The rest of us were playing the game with one goal in mind, and apparently you and Turkey were playing it with another goal in mind. It’s clear that you consider a two way draw functionally the same as a two way tie for first place. It is not.

Furthermore, what you’ve done is incredibly rude. The rest of us spent dozens of hours playing a game only to find out we weren’t playing the game we thought we were. Your “Ha ha we fooled you” and “Do you surrender” bit is making it worse and turning annoyance into anger.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

And the “Do you surrender?” bit is because I don’t particularly like listening to your whining and I’d just like to get things over with. It’s like a CoD player shouting “OMG fucking noob tube!” over Xbox LIVE.

An update on the game’s latest turn: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=14184430&postcount=265
Also, I think it’s unlikely that posting about the disagreement on goals of playing is likely to convince one party or the other. I would ask, for the sake of everyone having a bit more fun and less frustration, that everyone try to follow these wiki guidelines:

Assume good will

Do not engage in personal attacks, even if you feel like you’ve been attacked
Working on this game, the only thing I get out of it is if the players have a good time.* Please don’t deny me that.

*For many of us, even an argument can be a good time - if that’s the case, please argue good-naturedly and make it clear you’re being good-natured about it.

As I said before, Turkey and Egypt negotiations are focused on making it literally impossible for either of us to get 33 supply centers. You may believe that it would be impossible to orchestrate that, but I disagree. If I’m wrong, do you honestly think Egypt would pass an opportunity for a sure win because of my oversight? Do you think I’d pass that same opportunity? We intend to share a tie as stated, but I’m not too naive to see that I have to “enforce” that tie with DMZs and mutual bounces as we get toward the end. I think you might have a different idea of our agreement than the reality of it.

I am honestly sorry we made you feel that way. My “surrender now!” post was meant to be lighthearted in-character goofiness. I don’t think I need to apologize for how I played, but I can see how my posts could be considered taunting and offensive. Really, it’s all in good fun though. Before this game I’ve always been the first or second person eliminated, so please forgive me for being overly excited.

In many other games in which a draw is a possible result, it can become a desirable result. I have followed this particular game from the very beginning and it was very clear from near outset that Egypt and Turkey were in an alliance. That information was not really a secret.

If the ultimate goal is to achieve the primary win condition (not necessarily something I agree with, considering how Diplomacy often ends), it was apparent that the fastest route to that 33 supply centers was the one Egypt and Turkey were taking. There was very little chance anyone else would be able to match their pace. To see this, clearly, obviously, and not act against their direct path to victory (shared or alone), was folly.

It isn’t that everyone else was playing a different game; they just chose not to play for first place. You can’t then take issue with not having a chance to win outright if you never make an attempt to stop those who were winning.

What does it mean if a region has a colored tank logo in it, but the region itself isn’t colored?

It hasn’t yet taken over the region. A unit takes over a region if it’s occupying it at the end of a year.

Who’s each color?

AClockworkMelon - Brown (EGYPT)
Mosier - Yellow (TURKEY)
treis - Blue (BRITAIN)
Sitnam - Red (POLAND)
grimpixie - Green (RUSSIA)
MrBroadside - Grey (GERMANY)