SDMB poster Shodan put his hands on his own adopted child

Next the libcrat soyflakes will be claiming he didn’t manhandle her. He’s a man, and to my knowledge has never claimed not to be! We all saw him wielding his man hands!

Is Shodan the Trumptard still pretending not to be a trumptard? Coz he’s running all around the board defending Trump like some kind of fucking trumptard.

ETA: Shodan is lying. He’s telling lies. He knows perfectly well that Acosta didn’t “put his hands” on the intern, so he’s chosen to deliberately lie about it. Liar.

More bastardization of our language.

If someone says "I put hands on him’, or more commonly, I hear ‘it’s been a long time since I put hands on someone’, it’s fairly clear they mean hit. It is also fairly clear that the person is an idiot. I find it similar to when someone says ‘I didn’t appreciate that’ when what they ACTUALLY mean is ‘that made me angry’.

I put hands on my wife this morning. I did not strike or assault her in any. Because I literally put hands on her. I touched her as she lay in bed as a gesture of love as I was leaving for work. I once put hands on a fellow student, because that person had fallen I helped him back up. See, it’s what he words actually mean. When a preacher lays hands on a person, he actually lays hands on them. Not to hit, but to bring …something…down from the Lord abvove.

Hit, punch, slap, strike, swat…are these not good, descriptive words?
Grrrrrrrrrr

I don’t want to look up the statutes. To be clear, I am not using the legal definition of assault. This is a Pit thread about a colloquial term, unless I misunderstood (which is why, Lance, I wanted clarification). “to put hands on” “to lay hands on” another person - you’re causing them physical harm of some sort. Grab, choke, slap, hit, spank, knock down, punch.

As kimstu notes, this is not to be confused with the religious term.

ETA: as Bon Jovi further illustrates, context is everything.

Nope, nor do I think he was asking to receive a sacrament or other religious ritual from an ordained Christian clergymember.

I completely disagree with this. This may be your interpretation, but you shouldn’t speak in such conclusive terms about it. If I hear someone “put their hands on” a woman, I immediately think in terms of intentional and unwanted physical aggression and so do most of the people in my conversational circles. This is more YMMV and not the final word you’re proclaiming.

In terms of this topic, Shodan is a disingenuous asshole who is trolling at least 95% of the time with no shame and I cannot believe people engage with him without even getting into his racism and sexism. However, the OP blows.

In today’s day and age, IMHO anyway, one doesn’t put their hands on anyone without their express permission, whether this is to hit them or just grab their arm (or some other portion of their anatomy).

Fair enough, but I hear that expression “he put his hands on me” all the time in my work environment (I work in a prison), and it doesn’t necessarily equate to harm or even violence. It just signifies something unwelcome.

Well damn, I’ll have to tell my church to stop playing this during that part of the services then.

OK, maybe idiot is a bit harsh. But they are definitely using slang

:confused: I kind of figured that my use of the term “IMHO” made it quite clear that I was expressing my own interpretation.

I agree, as EscAlaMike remarked, that the term connotes some kind of nonconsensual or unwanted physical contact. But as I said, I think—IMHO once again, just to make it absolutely clear—that it doesn’t carry such definite connotations of “striking or violence” as the term “to lay a hand on” does.

If someone is trying to physically remove something from your possession, and in the process, they come into contact with you, would you say that you have put your hands on them without their express permision?

No, if anything they have put their hands on me.

It’s very Trumpian.

Makes sense. Context strikes again. :o

This thread is vastly exceeding my expectations and I honestly appreciate what you have added to it.

Thanks.

Hard to say. Would I use that terminology? Probably not. I’d probably say altercation or assault depending on why and how they were trying to take something from me. But if someone grabbed my arm or my shirt or something like that I might, if I was feeling a bit archaic, say they laid hands on me. Or if they were a Baptist preacher trying to heal me I suppose…

You know what I missed that and I own it. In my defense, before that you seemed to be speaking as if it was a settled matter, but you did add that.

No, it doesn’t assume hitting, but there is nothing but a negative connotation to it and Shodan is straight up lying by using that phrase and knows it. He. Is. Trolling. Wish he’d earn one of those warnings for it in Elections that the other dude got. Doorhinge?

Well, that’s my absolute favorite way to speak in pretty much any circumstances. But I do try to add phrases like “I think” (my very first words in that initial post, btw) and “IMHO” where appropriate to take the edge off my categorical tone of voice. Also smilies. :slight_smile:

Yeah, he’s pretty much doing the exact same thing that doorhinge was doing and got called out on. Not sure if the mods are giving him the benefit of the doubt, or giving him rope, or if there is a difference.

oooh, now you’ve gone and done it. Misspelled his “nom de plume” you did.