Seafood (again)

This is my easy one-pan fish meal that always, always satisifies - and it’s quick enough to slam together on a worn-out weeknight. Came up with this while vacationing with my brother in Los Cabos - the posada we stayed in had an outdoor kitchen and we spent the afternoon at the mercado, picking up whatever looked nice…and this is what it turned into.

Pescado Senor Manana - serves 2
olive oil for pan
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 medium white onion, sliced
1-2 pasilla chiles, seeded and sliced
2-3 plum tomatoes, diced
sprinkle oregano
couple glugs of dry white wine
salt and pepper to taste
4 tilapia or other white fish filets
cooked white rice to serve

Heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic, onions and peppers. Saute’ for about 3 minutes, until onions are softened and garlic is fragrant. Add tomatoes, oregano, wine, s & p and bring to a simmer. Lay filets on top of vegetables and cover pan. Cook over medium/low heat for about 5 minutes or until filets are opaque/done. Serve over white rice, muy sabroso.

You can sub out any softer vegetables (zucchini, mushrooms, peas, beans, olives etc) and herbs to switch up the flavor themes. Endless variety.

How about season with Old Bay Blackened and sear over high heat in a cast iron pan. Catfish, salmon, mahi, tuna all stand up nicely to blackening and the old bay is on the spicy side.

This actually sounds similar to something I’ve made on occasion. Sauté some minced garlic and chopped onions in olive oil, add some diced Roma tomatoes, add tilapia fillet. Serve with angel hair pasta.

Oh, BTW…

Saturday was the catfish. Sunday I made scampi. Monday I went to Pike Place and had fish’n’chips. Last night I had a fish sandwich from Burger King. Today I had bún đặc biệt, which included a longitudinally-skewered shrimp. (I sang Shrimp heads, shrimp heads, munchy crunch shrimp heads/Shrimp heads, shrimp heads, eat them up, Yum! and ate the head. Then I ate the tail. Then I ate the middle.) So I think I’m just about over my seafood craving.

But I know I can get some locally-caught live Dungeness crab from a place near my house.