Seat rage in planes.

Flew first class once. A gift from my wife. Absurdly expensive. Those folks suggesting that as an always alternative have a disconnect with reality.

Stretch seating though, that’s the ticket, if you can get it before it sells out.

How tall are you? Not my experience at all. Yes, the top moves only about 4 inches, but when you are already cramped and crowded, it matters. And the bottom, while it does not move as much, certainly moves.

What they should do is have the top stay where it is, and have the bottom scoot forward. Or split the difference.

I do not recline my seat, nor would I ever consider asking someone not to recline theirs. I’m curious, though; what response do you get? Have you ever been told to fuck off?

I usually buy a coach/economy ticket, then go online the day before and buy a first class upgrade if it’s available. I get the upgrade at least 75% of the time ( YMMV, this is based on the airlines and routes I usually fly ). The cost of the upgrade usually is between $90 and $250 per flight, depending on the length of the flight and that is usually offset a bit because you get at least one free checked bag with the first class ticket.

Your complaint is with the airline. Feel free to take it up with them. The passenger in front of you bought a reclining seat and needn’t ask your permission to use it.

More importantly you knew you were buying a ticket on a plane with a reclining seat in front of you. Hence you can have no complaint with passenger in front of you, who chooses to recline their seat.
Your being tall shouldn’t determine how I get to use my seat, sorry.
(Are you willing to not use scented shampoo, deodorant because a highly allergic person could end up sitting beside you? They could be uncomfortable the whole journey, after all. Or is it their problem, that you don’t really feel a need to accommodate? Or is your attitude, “If they’re that delicate they need to find a different way to travel!” Or, perhaps, “They knew there could be scents on the plane when they bought their ticket!”)

I’m 6’6", most of which is leg, and I endorse this post wholeheartedly.

I do.

I don’t think they should either.

I have absolutely no complaint. I’m only too happy for my fellow passengers to make themselves as comfortable as they possibly can, in what is usually a wholly inadequate seat for a long-haul flight.

I don’t think that either. You can do whatever you like in your seat. I’m just trying to promote the idea that if you are going to put your seat back, you could maybe just let the person behind you know, so that if they are particularly long-legged they can make a few adjustments first. If you don’t want to though, that’s fine too, don’t be sorry.

Well on one flight back from India I’d had a tandoori lobster with garlic naan the night before, and I reeked of garlic. I warned the woman sitting next to me and apologised. That broke the ice and we got chatting, and we ended up going on a few nice dates back in the UK. I’ve no idea what relevance that has, but I’m laying on my bed trying to pass a kidney stone, so anything to pass the time.

(Ouch! Sorry about the kidney stone! Feel better!)

Let’s remain sober here.

It’s a bitch :frowning: I’d rather try and pass it though than go through the op I had to get the last one out. You know how they go in for it, right? :eek:

Oh, and back to the topic at hand… don’t get me started on what people do with their elbows, elbows. :wink:

Hmm. I do not fear flying, but it is an uncomfortable ordeal. I fly a couple of times a year, and I don’t think I’ve ever flown sober.

ETA: tapu: I’m in western Pennsylvania.

Airlines ought to look into the whole reclining seat thing. Would passengers prefer immobile seats all round? They’re always screwing with seat design and space – not having the reclining feature may open up more efficient design.

I think one of the low-cost carriers, either Spirit Airlines or Ryanair, introduced fixed seats.

I don’t object to reclining seats, or people using them… as I said upthread, why the hell wouldn’t you? And as someone else pointed out, it doesn’t really make a HUGE difference to most people, although for the vertically well-endowed it can make a few minor differences, like making it that bit more difficult to reach down and get something from under the seat in front of you, which is why it would be nice to know if the seat’s going back; I can make sure I get my shit out from under it first. Still, even that’s not worth getting upset about; I can work round it.

I think the genuine ire should be saved for the airlines that have given us shitty allowances in the first place. It’s a competitive market though I guess, and it’s called “economy” class (or whatever fancy term they gussy it up with) for a reason, so selling 'em cheap and packing 'em in is the priority.

Anyway, as long as they don’ t cut corners on maintenance and safety I suppose. I don’t expect my partner and her fellow passengers on the Germanwings flight from Munich to Nuremberg this morning were thinking too much about seat rake angle in light of yesterday’s tragedy :frowning:

Not yet, and to clarify I don’t ask them beforehand but would tell them to please mind my knees if they did (or maybe “AAAAAAAAARGH!”, depending on how much force they were using). People don’t seem to recline their seats all that often on the few flights I’ve been lately, anyways.

You’ve obviously never sat in the last row.

I do not. “Back” is the default position of the seats. Forward is a temporary state for takeoff and landing.
Roomier seats are available for purchase if I want them.

No, but people who use “u” instead of “you.” make me stabby…

Reclining airline seats fall under the category of “Things you CAN do but it doesn’t mean you SHOULD do”. There’s an argument to be made for “But it can do go back and it’s my seat so…” but I’ll still figure you’re an inconsiderate jackass and I don’t recline my seat in order to not be an inconsiderate jackass to the soul behind me. Even though I could. I figure we’re all in it together so self-righteous claims to seat ownership don’t make the trip easier on anyone except the guy self-righteously reclining his seat.

I only recline when the guy in front of me reclines. So, if you ask me to unrecline, your going to have to get the guy in front of him to unrecline and so on.

I’ve pointed out in other threads that tall people make 789 dollars more per year per inch above 5’6". So, at 6’6" you are earning almost 10K more per year simply because you’re tall. If you suck up the cost of a first class seat every once in awhile, you’re still coming out ahead for the year.