Seat rage in planes.

This is one of those subjects that makes me feel like I am in an alternate universe.

The seats recline. That’s why that feature exists. People have to put them up for take offs and landings, but generally people recline them a bit (or more on overnight flights when they are sleeping) after, which takes them from an uncomfortable nearly-forward pitch to a normal sitting position. This is the way airplane seats work, and the behavior I’ve seen on every flight I’ve been on.

Sorry, but my ticket cost the same as yours, and both of our seats are the same size and have the same features. I don’t think it’s my job to reduce the space I have because you want more and chose not to plan or pay for it.

On average, no one is getting more space. It’s a zero-sum game–every cubic inch you gain is taken from someone else. I certainly don’t begrudge anyone that reclines their seat because the person in front of them did, but in other cases it’s mildly douchey, because it forces everyone behind them to recline if they don’t want to lose space.

I’d absolutely prefer an airline that disabled the recline function completely. I’m with Voyager: the difference in comfort is almost imperceptible to me, but the loss of function from the tray table (specifically, being able to use a small laptop on it) is significant. And the people in the last row shouldn’t get screwed.

I won’t recline my seat until the person in front me reclines theirs. If they never recline, then I will never recline. But if they do, don’t expect me to make do with less space for the theoretical benefit of the person behind me, who, for all I know, has reclined their seat. It’s a zero sum game, but you still have to play.

Look, I don’t care about any of this stuff. All I want to know is where you are–departure/location. Without that, it’s meaningless.

Airline seats don’t recline; they move forward temporarily for takeoff and landing.

Well, the difference is enormously perceptible to me-- with an even slightly reclined, I am able to sleep. With a seat that is bolt upright, I can’t.

I have sympathy for exceptionally tall people. I have exactly zero sympathy for people waanting to make me uncomfortable so that they can screw around on their laptops. Sorry, nope. You aren’t actuall that spectacularly important that you can’t unplug now and then. Your laptop is so completely not my problem.

Screwed? They get first dibs on the toilets.

I find this really strange. It’s not enough of a recline to reduce the weight on your spine, nor is it enough to prevent your head from falling forward. Sleeping on a plane is never that easy for me, but the 5 degrees or whatever of recline makes zero difference, and I don’t see how it physically could.

First sniff of the toilets, more like. And an endless line of idiots queued up in the aisle beside them.

Look around you (or try an image search). How many chairs do you see that are bolt-upright? Do you think that everyone who makes chairs with a slight recline is just crazy?

The seats recline because the airlines know that the slight tilt will, in fact, help many people to sleep. And the airlines are entirely invested in getting as many people to sleep as possible, especially on long haul flights.

Imagine flying fifteen hrs with 400+ people and no one sleeps! Yikes!

(And if you’re NOT talking long flights than you’re just being a big old first world baby! An uncomfortable few hours while you get to fly to your destination? Oh the horror!)

People have different preferences for their natural level of reclination. But that’s just minor degrees of waking comfort. Chairs designed for sleep recline far more.

I believe you I guess; it just seems weird.

Anyway–why is your demand for sleep more important than my ability to use the tray table? We’re both trying to make it through the flight with some degree of comfort; I pass my time through creative expression, and I use my laptop for that.

I’d actually be fine if all seats were permanently reclined if the trays could be pulled farther out.

And when grabbing the top of my seat, please consider not grabbing part of my hair along with it.

Nm

Why does sleep beat screwing around on the computer? Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Bring a book or an iPad or something. Planes are not designed for laptop use.

Has anyone else found that the seats seem to recline differently in different planes of the same model? I have only had a problem with the seat ahead of me reclining once, and it was painful (I already have bad knees). There was constant force, accompanied by bouncing. The thing that really bothered me was that the guy was sitting up/leaning forward to use his tray table. His recline seemed to be far more than any other I have experienced.

Also, I have only had seats that recline perceptibly a couple of times. Most of the time, I try to recline and it doesn’t get me anywhere. Maybe I haven’t wanted to push the recline at all in case there were knees behind me.

There have been seats that are so upright that I feel pitched forward, probably because of my head in relation to the headrest. It is terribly uncomfortable, but luckily, those were the seats that I could actually recline.

Airlines outfit the planes as they desire, and they have a lot of options. So different airlines can put seats in the same model plane, or even vary the seating in their own planes of the same model.

:rolleyes:

The real world. What reality are you in?

Sure my Wife and I often drive. Often have to for her bike races. Like I said, stretch seating is great. But people that just say go first class are the ones that are in an alternate reality. That’s what I specifically addressed in my post. It’s way too expensive for many folks.

I don’t get into any kind of rage when someone leans their seat back. I really wish they wouldn’t, but it’s their choice.

I always get the exit row.

So far, it has worked like a charm for me. The only drawback is that I don’t sit with my wife and kid - but since we are usually just watching videos or reading the whole time, it’s not a big deal, and the cost of the upgrade is manageable.

Otherwise, I find it quite cramped - I’m 6’, so not as tall as some of you folks, but still.

Your lucky or I’m unlucky. Even booking quite a bit in advance, I very, very rarely manage to get the exit row. Can’t remember the last time I did.

I do the stretch seating when I can. Otherwise an aisle seat.