Seatbelts on Buses

Okay, I was in a bus accident in October of 2000. Our bus driver had a case of leadfoot and went around an almost right angle curve at full speed. Anyway we went up on two wheels ,at which point i wasn’t really concerned assuming we we land in the ditch proped up at an angle by some trees. Instead we keep going on two wheels and finally landed on our right side (side i was sitting on, oh buy the fat jokes made about me after this) and slid a little bit til we came to a complete stop. Needless to say students went flying, and people landed on other people. In the end nobody was hurt, in fact i consider it one of the more interesting experiences of my life. But then i thought what would happen if we had had seatbelts. Students hanging at all kinds of odd angles, almost diffenently causing injury. Though now that I think about it, it may also mean that human bodies make good coshion since the bus was pretty much packed. But then again this doesn’t account for why i didn’t get a scratch when i was sitting next tot he wall (though maybe it has something to do with my built in coshion), and quite a few people landed on me. Go figure.

Welcome. They usually require you to ask a question in this forumn. What is it?

bluefalcon Again, welcome.

I incorrectly thought you were posting in General Questions, thus my reply. Forgive me. Old age. Beer. Whatever.

he, understood, no biggie

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank thee for posting thy comment. What we do ask is that, in this forum, thou includest a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the Straight Dope web site. To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in thy post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at this link:
Why are there no seatbelts on school buses? (06-Nov-1998)

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»