secret Greenland base

A few years ago I was thumbing through a travel guide on Greenland. I came across a passage in which the author stated that during WW II the U.S. had a secret military base in Greenland where they shipped guys who were so horribly mangled in battle that to send them home would hurt morale. So they supposedly kept these cases in Greenland unbeknownst to their families or anyone else. Anyone know anything about this?

SHHHHHHHHH :slight_smile:

Mulder –

The secret’s out.

– Scully

Yeah, and during Vietnam they hid them in a restrictred hospital on Guam (or, sometimes, in a cave-built hospital on Okinawa).

No. This is a UL. Who was the author (so I can avoid his books)?

Wait a minute! A travel guide to Kalalit Nunaat? Sa-a-a-y. . . . Just what sort of a scam are you pulling here?

Tom~

Do a web search for “secret military base greenland coverup” and if you don’t get any hits…well, that’ll prove it’s a coverup!

(Sheesh!)

Last year I taped a story off the CBC about a team who’d crossed Kalallit Nunaat (Greenland) east-to-west using sledges and skis.

Midway across, they sheltered at an abandoned US base that was built above the ice on great metal supports, like an oil platform. It was creepy and kind of science-fictiony.

The video showed the interior of the base–there was still office furniture in some of the rooms and canned food in the kitchen cabinets. It looked like they’d abandoned it and taken as little as they could with them.

I seem to remember seeing the base marked on a map of Kalallit Nunaat as well.

If I know about the base, it is not very secret… :slight_smile:

A good site for info on Kalallit Nunaat: The Greenlandic Tourist Board’s site. I hope to go there someday…

Interesting. That link I put in doesn’t seem to be handled properly by UBB. It is: http://www.greenland-guide.gl/. I left the http:// out of the first tag…

I’m on their mailing list. :slight_smile:

Well, many urban legends have a grain of truth. And I suspect that this one does as well.

France did set up communities, I hesitate to call them ‘resorts,’ for wounded soldiers after World War I. As this was after the war it was not done for morale reasons. Part of its motivation was to provide a haven for the ‘grandes mutilees.’

Andrew Warinner

On the subject of myths concerning concealing the casualties of war, There is an old urban myth that, in World War I, the English loaded up a ship in Egypt with several thousand soldiers infected with syphillis etc. and then sunk it in the Mediterranean. This was pre-antibiotics and they couldn’t unleash these young men into the population in England.