Seeking a Military Base Term

Can someone confirm if the team immedaitely under the Base Commander might be known as “COMSQUAD”? I am not sure if this across all branches of the military, or specific to one branch. Any info would be appreciated. - Jinx

Sounds like Navy-speak for “Squadron commander.” If this is the case, he could not be the base commander too.

The squadron could deploy someplace while the base would be without a commander.

I’m currently active duty AF, and my beloved husband retired as an AF Master Sergeant. We’re currently at our 9th post in 22 years, and I’ve never heard of the Base Commander’s “team” being referred to as COMSQUAD. The term “Comm” in military parlance *generally * referrs to communications, i.e. “You have to go to the Comm squadron to get that fixed.” In fact, that’s the first thing I would think of seeing that, communications squadron.

It does sound like something A base commander might call his team, in a kind of joking way, and make it sort-of official sounding, like putting a sign on his office door saying something like “Home of COMSQUAD!”

Note, this info applies only to the AF. The Navy has a penchant for taking the first three letters of words in a phrase and mashing them up, making, for instance, PERSUPDET, out of personnel support detachment. So, maybe it could be a Navy thing.

Actually, you have explained what I was thinking of. A gentleman I was teamed with was a contractor supporting an AFB, but this term never appeared when our role shifted to Army support. I guess I misunderstood what the “COM” meant!

Thanks for the clarification!

• Jinx

I’d think “Communications Squadron” if I saw that.

US Navy.

Glad to help!

That’s because we don’t have squadrons. We have squads, but those aren’t for communications. They’re for combat arms people. The commo guys belong in a section.

In the Navy COM is also used for Commander. For example the guy in charge of submarines in the Pacific is COMSUBPAC. COMmander SUBmarines PACific. His counterpart on the East Coast is COMSUBLANT.

I have never heard the term in the OP.

Sure we do.

When I was a dependent I had a base sticker on my Enduro that said FLEASWTRACENPAC. (Fleet ASW Training Center Pacific).

Lol…indeed you do! When #1 son was driving from basic/AIT to California, he would stop at bases for the night, and was asked what his squadron was at one AF base…he told them, but it only confused the airman at the counter.

You Navy folks are just so weird!

I won’t speak to AF, Navy, or Naval Air, but in the case of the Army:

Fort Drum (upstate NY) is home to the 10th Mountain (Lt Inf) Division. The base and the division are commanded by a Major General. His immediate subordinates were two Brigadier Generals, each commanding one brigade of the division, and a third officer, IIRC full Colonel, on a par with the two one-stars in the TO despite being a step down in rank, who was in charge of Base Ops. If and when the full division deployed, the latter would assume command of the fort vice the Major General in command.

I bet he’s excited to be going home next month! And you as well. I never did run into him…

So what is the dealie with that. Vietnam and previous years, the army operated bronco’s, mohawks and caribou’s in addition to its fleet of helicopters.

What surprised me was reading several books, these aircraft were organized into platoons, instead of the more familiar squadrons.

Now we all know that after the airforce and army signed their peace treaty, the airforce got the fixed wing’s and the army got the helo’s.

Does the army now organize its apaches, blackhawks and so forth in platoons or squadrons.

declan

And proud of it!

It’s probably out of print now, but there was a book, published unofficially, DICNAVAB – Dictionary of Naval Abbreviations – that listed all of those TLAs, both individually and strung together like popbeads.

Amusing historical note: After WWI the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets were combined into the US Fleet. The commander-in-chief of the combined fleets was known as CINCUS Right after Pearl Harbor, after some thought, the title was changed to COMINCH.

Not 100% sure, but globalsecurity.org says that 1st cav’s aviation brigade is organized into battalions.

Ground cavalry units also use the squadron designation for a battalion sized element.

When I was in the submarine force, we used to refer to COMSUBGOD as a generic catch-all term for high-up type visitors. :slight_smile:

(e.g. “We’re supposed to be getting a visit from COMSUBGOD when we pull in to port, so we’ll be doing field day (cleanup) every day until then.”)

You have NO idea. But I’ll bet your Mom does. Maybe you’ll see him in Germany!

An army ‘squadron’ is a cavalry unit equivalent in size to a battalion (but with ‘troops’ instead of ‘companies’). i.e the Seventh CavalryRegiment made famous by General Custer and later by the battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam.