Seeking a solution to prevent being stabbed by a pin worn on my clothing

A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure and privilege of attending a Burns Night event for the first time. For the occasion, I acquired a few Scottish-related accessories, one of them being a kilt pin like this one: Clan Crest Kilt Pin (141001a)

It’s quite attractive and I’d like to use it as an accessory in occasion. However it’s about three inches long and heft and the pin on the back frankly scares me.

I wonder if there might be something I can use to cover the point of the pin after it’s attached to my clothing, so that an accidental brushing against it would be much much less likely to result in a stabbing.

I can just imagine pulling on my jacket or whatever and my arm going up and down accidentally catching the end of the pin and getting stuck. Sure, it might not be very likely, but I want to make it even less so.

Like this?

I’m confused.

Does the kilt badge have short stubby pins sticking straight out the back? If so they must should have come with clutch fasteners which lock over the pin ends.

As somebody who has worn a uniform needing anywhere from 6 to ~30 of the clutch fasteners for 40+ years now, I’d recommend a design more like the cite just below vs. the rubber ones Elmer suggested. These things lock tightly in place and don’t pull off but also remove easily with the right handling:

Or is it more like the safety-pin style fastener on a brooch, where the pin is hinged and when closed lies parallel to the plane of the fabric, trapped by a small keeper / clasp near the pin's free end, but with the pin's point exposed?

If that’s the case, I’d expect that something like a clutch fastener would be too large in diameter to lie properly behind the fabric, or there’d not be quite enough exposed point for the clutch fastener to get a reliable grip on the pin shaft. But if a quality clutch fastener does work, that’s IMO your ideal answer.

For that case instead I’d suggest impaling the pin end into almost any small rubber thing. Heck, cut the eraser end off a wooden pencil, or carve a suitable hunk off a rectangular pencil eraser. etc. If you find erasers aren’t stiff/grippy enough to stay on, and hardware store sells small rubber corks for a buck or two. A hunk carved off one of those might work better. Or a hunk carved off one of Elmer’s rubber clutch fasteners for that matter.

No. It’s not that type of pin fastener.

It’s the other kind you describe. I’ll look for the cork thing you describe.

Who else read “pin worm” in the title?

Thank you. I assumed it was just me, and was sort of horrified by how this could be a thing…!

[raises hand]

Brian

Ditto

There’s always this or this.

I don’t know why the brooch makers don’t fix a protective hood type thing
on the back as a matter of course - like on a safety pin. (I’m sure some do).

Now there’s the answer! a gizmo purpose designed for exactly this mission. Thank you.

Of course there’s such a thing; we just needed the person who knew what it was and what they’re called.

“Who else read “pin worm” in the title?”

Yep, me too. I was thinking, oh great…now we have pin worms that carry around “weaponry” to worry about. :laughing: Really, was just trying to make sense of it, and wondered if pin worms actually do stick you (hence the name).