Seemingly "Ignorant" Celebrities With Advanced Degrees

A child prodigy on the piano…an adult prodigy on the organ. Interesting!

A few months ago, I remember reading that David Lee Roth was taking classes to get an EMT license. Letterman and Leno made jokes about it. Don’t know if he finished the course or not.

Paramedic. Big difference.

More tellingly about Arnold: he was a multi-millionaire before becoming a movie star.

And it wasn’t from being a bodybuilding champion either (in those days, the winner of the Mr. Olympia title received $5,000): he and fellow bodybuilder Franco Columbo would buy old properties and fix them up.

That one blew me away and I wonder why things like this are never mentioned. I think a famous band leader having a PhD is a great thing but nobody else seems to even know about that stuff. His PhD is in microbiology though.

http://members.aol.com/delirium4u/offspring/band.htm

From what I recall, he was interested in going into medical research when his brother was diagnosed with cancer or something to that effect.

Katey Sagal who played ditzy housewife Peg Bundy on Married…With Children is actually very intelligent, an acomplished singer and songwriter.

I can’t find a cite for this, but I recall hearing that Dan Rowan (of “Laugh-In”) was a physicist, and that after World War 2, Edward Teller asked him to work on the team designing the hydrogen bomb. Rowan supposedly decided he’d prefer show business.

SOoooo glad I didn’t have anything in my mouth when I read that.

I am fairly certain that Tom Morello, former guitar player for Rage Against the Machine now playing for AudioSlave, graduated from Harvard with honors. I am also fairly certain that I read recently that over 93% of all Harvard graduates now graduate with honors. Let me find some background on that one before anyone tries to bite my rotting, hairy head off.

Rancid

Funny, that. I’ve been watching episodes of *Yes, Minister * and Yes, Prime Minister where the minister in question, James Hacker, was routinely mocked for *only * going to the LSE by those of the Oxford and Cambridge stripe.

Greg Graffin, the singer from Bad Religion is about to finish his PhD in evolutionary biology.

Kris Kristofferson was a Rhodes Scholar and tenure-track professor at West Point.

I don’t know if anyone thinks of her as “ignorant”, but Natalie Portman is very very bright, attending harvard and having participated in the Westinghouse national science talent search in her younger days.

And Danica McKellar, from The Wonder Years, coauthored a mathematics paper while at (I think) UCLA.
Ahh, brainy beautiful brunettes…

Well, things may have gone further in the last ten years, but when in '94, they made a big deal over the fact that 85% were grduating with honors, the most in the school’s history.

So while I don’t know my exact ranking, I can be sure that I was in the bottom 15%.

Had a 1998 paper published in Britain’s “Journal of Physics A: Mathematics & General” with UCLA professor Lincoln Chayes and student Brandy Winn which provided a mathematical proof for a theorem dealing with magnetism in two dimensions.

Whoopi Goldberg has a P.H.d in Literature, but I’m sure it comes in handy on the Hollywood Squares.

No, she does not. (P.S. It’s spelled Ph.D.)

Not sure what he is/was majoring in or if he’s graduated yet, but the lead singer of Weezer (I wanna say… Rivers Cuomo? Is that his name? Too lazy to look up…) was in the same history class at Harvard last fall as a girl I went to high school with.

Well, having a master’s degree doesn’t make one an intellectual, but… famed wrestler George “the Animal” Steele has a master’s degree. His real name is Jim Myers, and he got both his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Michigan State. After graduation, he was a biology teacher and football coach at a high school in the suburbs of Detroit.

He started wrestling in the summers, on the East Coast, to make extra money. At the time, wrestling was a regional sport (that is, there were Southern, Midwestern, Southwester and Northeastern circuits), so a guy who wrestled in the Northeast wouldn’t be seen on TV in Michigan. So, for quite some time, his students and players had no idea about his moonlighting gig.

Myers says that, once in a blue moon, some kid would bring in a wrestling magazine and joke that he looked a lot like the Animal- but for the most part, he was able to give a sarcastic, “I look like HIM? Oh, thanks a lot,” and laugh it off.

from here It says she has her p.H.d from New York University in Literature