Seen it: Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse

Thanks — I was wondering this too. Thought maybe they had split up at some point.

Loved the movie. Visually great and so well-written.

I really liked it…but…

I was disappointed by the climax because I wanted something unique to Miles or his experience to actually matter in the final battle. I wanted more than Miles to punchy punchy.
Like there is a clear parallel between Miles finding out his beloved uncle is a super villain, and Fisk’s family finding out he’s a super villain… and they didn’t use that at all in the movie.

I loved it! I’ve seen it twice in 2D and I’m going to see it again in 3D next week. I wish I could have seen it at an IMAX (a REAL one).

Yes, one of the most exciting things about it, long-term, is that it will inspire countless future filmmakers. It may not be tearing up the box office now, but it will be cited so often it will never be forgotten.

Oh god, I hope that’s not right.

This. I used to read Spider Man in the newspaper when I was a kid, and that was a pretty common problem. I guess I intuitively understood that.

I loved it, but my mom doesn’t like animation in general, and I don’t think she’d even be able to sit through this. It was awfully busy.

But I loved the characters, I loved the emotional stress and interactions, I loved the music, I loved the graphics when they weren’t too overwhelming, and I loved the homage to actual comic books. Oh, and I liked that Doc Ock was a woman.

Really fun movie, I’m glad I saw it.

Is there a good article or video on the technology used in the film? It looked amazing but how different is it exactly from other CG animated films?

I’m also not anti-animation, BTW. Studio Ghibli stuff, most especially “Spirited Away”, is awesome. If this Spidey movie had been hand-drawn, it could have been something great.

Just saw it today and I am embarrassed.

I was so convinced the movie was in 3D and that none of us were provided glasses, I tried to speak to someone after about getting a partial refund. It was explained to me that it was the style of the movie.

I liked the movie, but found the blurred color effect to be not wise. I did like the “comic book texture” look. I also would not have used an odd frame-rate in the slower moments.

The movie was good, not amazing. I liked a lot about it. Spider-man Homecoming was much better. My kids, ages 8 and 10, liked it. My son(8) liked it a lot. My daughter(10) thought it was pretty good, but she was a little bit bored.

We saw it this evening. Really good. We told our neighbor she should see it, and she said she already tried but walked out on it. She likes some pretty awful crap though, so consider the source.

I dunno. Our viewing was packed, so a lot of people are seeing it.

Unfortunately the comments about the style mean that it’s a no-no for me. Pity.

Well, time to give up hope because that is exactly right.

Saw it tonight with my 9-year-old son and we both loved it. I’d love to see a sequel or even a Miles Morales TV series in a similar style.

I was glad to learn there is at least one critic not buying into the alleged awesomeness of the animation (although I liked the other aspects of the movie more than he did):

…there is nothing “alleged” about other people’s opinions, no matter what this alleged “reviewer” has to say about it.

Would you prefer “supposed”?

…I think that the animation for Into the Spider-Verse was awesome. There is no “supposedly” about it. You are welcome to disagree. You aren’t welcome to tell me my opinion is “alleged” or “supposed”.

The frame rate was probably the least successful of their efforts to make the film seem like an animated comic book, and I can understand why it might turn some folks off. But it didn’t bother me in the slightest; indeed, I thought the animation was superb overall. I can’t understand someone calling it unqualifiedly bad.

:rolleyes: I suppose I don’t “welcome” your last couple posts either, but I don’t bother griping to you about it, since I have long since made my peace with the fact that people don’t always welcome the things others have to say.

To me, the following two statements are functionally equivalent:

(1) I was glad to learn there is at least one critic not buying into the supposed awesomeness of the animation.

(2) I was glad to learn there is at least one critic who shares my puzzled and strenuous disagreement with all the other critics who say the animation is awesome.

ETA: Note that what Paranoid Randroid said is a similar kind of statement, maybe even stronger (“I can’t understand someone calling it”), just on the other side of the opinion spectrum. I’m not offended by that.

…my opinion isn’t “alleged” or “supposed”. As long as you stop insinuating that it is then we are all good.

Well they aren’t functionally equivalent. Maybe that’s what you aren’t getting?

While your characterization of Paranoid Randroid’s post is correct: we aren’t talking about “offense.” I’m not offended by your post.

I enjoyed the movie a lot (favorite parts: Aunt May, and when Miles threw a bagel at someone on his way out of a building and the sound effect when it hit was “BAGEL!” That made me giggle way more than it should have.) :slight_smile:

I have to add myself to the list of folks who didn’t like the weird pixel-y out of focus animation style, though. I had the same thought as lots of folks here did: that we wandered accidentally into a 3D movie and they didn’t give us glasses. It was the only thing that kind of ruined an otherwise excellent movie for me. I got used to it eventually, but I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if they hadn’t gone with that choice.