Seen it: Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse

Did anyone else catch this over the weekend? I saw it Saturday when they did an unadvertised fan screening for one showing at 2 p.m.

Well-worth seeing, though I wish I hadn’t seen the trailers. The animation style should put it up for some awards, and it’s got some truly beautiful sequences.

I really liked it. It took it’s time telling Miles Morales’ story which I could see frustrate some viewers but I liked it. It did feel like some of the Alternate Spider People got short changed (Spider Noir especially) but there is only so much time.

I really liked the Comic book animation style and the fourth wall breaks were funny, not annoying. The scene after the credits was Meta on top of Meta and very funny for fans.

I would recommend the movie. My Girlfriend who is not a comic book fan even enjoyed it (although she hated the post credit scene because it made no sense to her).

I just got back from seeing it, and it’s absolutely delightful–the most comic-book comic-book movie I’ve ever seen.

We missed the post-credits scene unfortunately; I’ll have to see if I can find it online.

Were there sections of it where the colors were deliberately out-of-phase? At one point I looked around the theater to see if other folks were wearing 3D glasses, because it looked a little like that, but then the images came back into phase. I couldn’t figure out if they’d put on the wrong film (there was a later 3d showing at the same theater), or if this out-of-phase bit was a deliberate choice to make it look like a poorly-printed comic page.

I noticed this too. On some of the close ups the character outlines got blurry. Seems to have been a deliberate decision on the part of the filmmakers, but not sure the reason.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Probably the best Spider-Man movie since Raimi’s Spider-Man 2. It should be a shoo-in to win Best Animated Film.

If I have one complaint it’s that the movie is hyper-kinetic. Not as bad as Lego Batman, but could be a problem for kids with sensory issues.

This is the reason I am not going to see the movie. They did this in the trailers and it made my eyes hurt. I literally had to look away from the screen because I was trying to focus on things that were deliberately offset to look like misaligned printing errors.

So annoying that the reviews are so great when it’s going to give me an actual headache if I go see it.

It was definitely an artistic choice. Visually it was, well, amazing. It felt like they used several different styles but they all meshed together.

I get that. It seemed to me that when Miles was feeling unsure and frantic and, well, adolescent, things got out of focus, but when he was a little more certain of himself, it was in focus. If that’s what was going on, it’s a very cool stylistic touch–but unfortunately, it was literally difficult to watch for me, and I imagine it’ll be so for other folks.

But it was far from the entire movie like that.

I saw it last night with my 17-year-old “nephew.” I’d seen one or two ads for it on TV, but didn’t pay much attention to them: I’m a Marvel movies fan, but my initial reaction was “a PG (not even PG-13) cartoon Spider-Man? meh.” But he wanted to see it and I’m always up for one-on-one time with him, so I took him.

It was AWESOME. Visually stunning, funnier and more clever than I expected, and utterly entertaining.

I have a question, though, for someone super familiar with the comics: cannon-wise, why does Miles have his mom’s last name instead of his dad’s? I get that it would make him Miles Davis, but the writers could have given his dad a different last name if that were an objection. I can’t (easily) find anything online about why Miles uses his mom’s maiden name. It’s possible there’s nothing in the cannon about it, but I’m just curious.

I thought it was referencing something completely different, so I laughed with everyone else and didn’t even know I’d missed anything until my nephew mentioned that his dad would enjoy the movie but wouldn’t get the post-credits scene…which made me ask him about it, because his dad would definitely get the reference I’d had in mind. :smack:

I noticed the image blurring repeatedly. I decided it was stylistic, and it’s the only complaint I have about the movie. It’s hard to watch and distracting.

Overall, we really liked it. The relationships, the characters, and the story were all great.

Saw it last night and loved it!

It’s amazing what happens when companies (Sony in this case) just gives movies to filmmakers who know how to make movies and…gasp!..the movies are good! My favorite thing about the movie was that it flowed really well and I never rolled my eyes and said: “Well we’re at the part of the movie where the conflict happens.”

Mrs. Cups went to the movie with me because she knew I wanted to see it, but ended up really, really loving the movie. Definitely should win the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

As for the blurring on the screen, according to the imdb trivia it was a design choice to mimic a comic book.

I liked it quite a lot. The film did a great job of drawing fresh drama and comedy out of the now tired Spiderman origin story. It was a visual feast though the final sequence was perhaps too abstract and hyperkinetic. Of the new Spider-versions I liked Noir the best and the Rubik’s cube gag was hilarious.

One of the ironies of 21st century movies is that the two most successful genres are superhero films and CG animated films but there aren't that many animated superhero films. This film has gotten great reviews and has done fairly well at the boxoffice and I hope it inspires more of its kind. In particular I would love to see Batman/Gotham done in this animation style.

I think the doylist reason for the last name is so that you know he’s hispanic. The watsonian reason I saw referenced somewhere on line is that his parents are married, but don’t share a last name, and he got really sick of the Miles Davis jokes, so he goes by Mom’s.

Thanks, Darth Sensitive!

I did like the scene where they were going through Peter B. Parker’s story, we see his wedding and discover he’s Jewish.

It doesn’t change anything about the character, but I thought it was cool and fit in with the message of the movie about how anyone can be Spider-Man or there’s Spider-Man for everyone.

Don’t forget the unwritten rule about alliterative names in Marvel.

Right!!!

I thought we might have gotten into the 3d movie by accident too. My husband who is a comic fan from way back said that it was a deliberate choice to emulate the poorly-printed-on-cheapest-newsprint old comics. They would run the paper through the printing press several times, once for each color, and it wouldn’t always line up.

It was gorgeous. They did just a genius job balancing all of the artistic styles: cross-hatching for shading, actual ink shading, noir grayscale against the burn-your-retinas color of the anime character, cartoon style up against almost-photographic artwork. The animation of the character’s facial expressions was dead-on realistic.

And I’m someone who is sick to death of Hollywood remaking the Spiderman movies. This was different, and fresh.

Wow, talk about MMV.

I found the film really hard to grade. I’m honestly not sure if I’m rating it way too high or way too low.

I loved the script, the acting, the music, the editing, all that jazz. But I hated the animation style. Not the use of comic book elements like word bubble type narration and such. That was totally cool. I just can’t stand the “uncanny valley” computer animation used through most of the movie.

So I can see an argument for just giving this a D-, lamenting that they didn’t make it a different way, and moving on. But all those other elements of the film are strong enough that I was kind of into it regardless. So ultimately I went with a C- grade.

My wife and I have two biological children together (plus the two older children from my first marriage). She and I have been married since before we had either of our two bio children together (she was pregnant at the wedding, but we sent out invitations before she got pregnant). But my wife kept her “maiden” name, and both of our bio children have her last name.

It was freakin’ awesome. I saw it with my eldest, who just returned from her first semester as a digital animation major in the Dodge College of Film and Arts at Chapman University in Orange California (greater LA area and funded by Cecil B. DeMille heirs). According to both my kidlet and her pretty well known professors, Into the Universe is revolutionary. IMHO it’s the first time a film actually is at least comparable if not superior to a comic book + imagination.

I foresee 2000AD story lines like Strontium Dog or Judge Dred, or something like Los Bros Hernados Love and Rockets can actually be adapted to a digital film format and be a superior product.

It’s not like this is new technology. simply the first time it has been put together into a pretty great film. In other words, it’s kinda the Star Wars of this generation.