Seeya Linda, we hadly knew ya, and we won't miss ya

Yep. Linda Chavez is withdrawing from the nomination. I’m happy. I’m sharing.

[soft chanting in the background]Zoe Baird! Zoe Baird! Zoe Baird![/soft chanting in the background]

God I love Karma.

Sob! Stop! Stop! You’re ripping my heart out!

Nice to see shrub get a chance to have his pecker on the anvil for a change.

I hope that Kimba Woods is hoisting a glass somewhere to this turn of events. After all of the talk in the election threads about how shrub would attempt to unite the country with moderate choices to appeal to both parties I have to wonder why I am totally unsurprised to find him nominating some of the most vigorous anti-choice and hidebound conservatives.

I shall now patiently await a phenomonal democratic backlash two years from now.
Yoo hoo, stoid! Fweet fweet fweet. Your turn.

Man, Chavez had a regular column in the Chicago Trib. Even our resident knee jerk conservative was embarrassed by her arguments.

And of course, the list is quite longer than Baird and Wood. How bout Lani Guinere (sp?)? How many judges/ambassadors? Yet to hear the conservs say it, it is all the mean dems who are guilty of “Borking.”

Well, if we’re lucky, it won’t be called Borking anymore…

The new parlance of our times will be “Ashcrofting.”

:smiley:

You guys do realize the next nominee is going to be just as extreme, right? Just with less of a paper trail and a more thorough FBI background check.

::Robin does the happy butt dance in her chair::

Whoo-hoo!!! One down, two to go!

Robin

What is UP with her parading a panel of character witnesses before us to say how wonderful she is? Are we supposed to feel guilty for “making” her give up the nomination? Eesh.

I am fairly confident that all of shrub’s nominations will receive a similar degree of scrutiny. What I really enjoy is that his first choices are being yanked out from under him. It means that he will not be surrounded by so many of his most favorite cronies.

Nuf said.

But if he doesn’t have anyone he knows to rely on for advice, won’t he start … shudder … deciding things on his own? Please, god, don’t let that happen to us! :eek:

But seriously, take a look at what you’re doing: using a personal failing and a relatively minor criminal violation that hasn’t even been proven as an excuse to disqualify someone from public service when your real beef is with the person’s politics. Paging Miss Lewinsky.

Linda Chavez is an extremist and a horrible candidate for Labor Secretary. But if the pansies in the Senate don’t have the guts to try and shoot her down on principle, then all that’s happening is perpetuating “the politics of personal destruction.”

This won’t stay long in MPSIMS, I tell ya.

Okay… Personally, I think she bailed too soon. Should have let the FBI see if anything was really wrong about the whole deal before quitting. We don’t know, given the shoddy media coverage, and won’t know, as now there’s no reason to investigate.

And what’s the big deal about this anyway? Clinton had problems from day one picking someone who hadn’t had problems. Every time he proposed a buddy, they’d axe murdered someone, or gotten those nasty rape charges dropped with a call to Mummy or Daddy*. It’s no different now. Just change the players and keep the game going.

This won’t stay long in MPSIMS, I tell ya.

Okay… Personally, I think she bailed too soon. Should have let the FBI see if anything was really wrong about the whole deal before quitting. We don’t know, given the shoddy media coverage, and won’t know, as now there’s no reason to investigate.

And what’s the big deal about this anyway? Clinton had problems from day one picking someone who hadn’t had problems. Every time he proposed a buddy, they’d axe murdered someone, or gotten those nasty rape charges dropped with a call to Mummy or Daddy*. It’s no different now. Just change the players and keep the game going.

*[sub]Slight embellishment, there.[/sub]

here’s a link to her speech. Interesting. :

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/reuters20010109_2887.html

Too bad, I think she would’ve been great. But I had her logged in the toast column yesterday.

Chavez’ columns

Tough call.

From what little I know about the situation, she was exhibiting behavior somewhere between blameless and commendable, kind of thing we wish conservatives would do more of! On the other hand, its hard to imagine a woman with her political and legal sophistication being unaware of the legal status of her “house guest” unless it was willful ignorance. I don’t recall hearing whether or not there was a possible “day care” aspect to this. On the third hand, she is a major self-righteous pain in the butt.

Ponder, ponder, ponder. Decision.

BWAAAAH-HA-HA-HA!! Gloat, gloat, gloat!

Adios, chiquita! Via con Arbusto!

Now let’s see if Senate Dems have the guts to oppose Gale Norton and John Ashcroft on the basis of what they stand for, as opposed to frippery like this.

Gotta say, though, Chavez deserves to be axed simply on the basis of having an incredibly short memory. It couldn’t have been more than a couple years after Baird and Wood went down in flames over not dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s about their household help, that Chavez started ‘helping’ this person.

It’s not like Chavez had no hopes at the time of being in the next GOP administration, whenever it came to pass. She should now take personal responsibility :slight_smile: for her cluelessness, and avoid any complaints about her treatment on the way out the door.

Before the liberals get too high and mighty, be careful the mud you sling doesn’t splash back on you.
"Mr. prevarication is still in office, though not for much longer, mercifully.

I was buying it until I saw this post. Before I opened it I remembered the phrase “People that look like us.”

Nah. He left office in January, 1989.

You’re confusing him with Mr. weaselword who currently occupies the office.

Except she didn’t even do it that well! Amusingly enough, Marta Mercado said that she had to find work at her neighbor’s house because Chavez was only paying her $120 per week. Sounds more like she was taking advantage of Ms. Mercado than being compassionate. Unsurprisingly, she wasn’t paraded out for Chavez’s press conferences.

You can find one version of the story here.