Selling/Donating old-tech TV's - what worked for you?

“Give it to a third world country”? How do you plan to get it to a third world country?

By the way, the New York Times ran an article a couple of days ago about how difficult it is to properly dispose of CRT televisions. Among other things, it said, “In 2004, recyclers were paid more than $200 a ton to provide glass from these monitors for use in new cathode ray tubes. The same companies now have to pay more than $200 a ton to get anyone to take the glass off their hands.” It also mentions the lead contamination that can result when they are allowed to pile up (especially when they break and release dust contaminated with lead).

“Ye olde Coloniale” console televisions of the 1970s have some ironic hipster cachet.

Portable color televisions from the 1960s, and sets from the 1970s that are considered examples of good industrial design, are valued by some collectors.

But very few use the NTSC broadcast standard, except for Mexico (hardly third world now) and some Central American countries. Even then, they’re going digital.

I have an old Panasonic portable in my garage. Still works! Well, analog anyway.
It was in our kitchen when I was a kid, my bedroom as a teen, college dorm, then my first apartment. Kept it for nostalgia and out of sheer shock that it was still working! Now I can’t toss it. Don’t they need things like that for props in TV and movies? I don’t want it to end up in a dump somewhere.

If the trash truck doesn’t take it, even if you have to pay them*, just take the TV apart; what I do is put the CRT in a trash bag and use a hammer to break it up (warning - make sure the vacuum seal is broken first or this will happen, although that looks fun) and cut the case apart; I just did this recently to a 19 inch TV and put the pieces in a few paper shopping bags (used two inside each other for the glass, which was left inside the bag I put it in to break it, and another for the plastic; the electronics were saved since that is why I picked it up in the first place, I even keep small CRTs to use as displays).

*Where I live, you do have to pay for large items (CRT TVs/monitors are accepted); my neighbors must be happy that I take their TVs and stuff (although I often put them back after gutting them, not for the aforementioned TV since I found it on the morning of pickup, with no time to gut it before pickup).

Freecycle is your friend. Someone will come and pick them up.

Some of the Panasonic portable sets from the 1970s are considered excellent examples of design from the era. Here’s one example.