Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) to step down as Leader [2/28/2024]

He’s played a malign role in the Senate for decades now. Had he shown more leadership and greater loyalty to the Constitution than to the GOP during either of Trump’s two impeachment trials, we might not now be facing catastrophe in November. I’ll be glad to see MM gone from Capitol Hill entirely.

I’m with @DavidNRockies and @Johnny_L.A on this one. McConnell could have solved the Trump problem in 2021 with a vote to convict on impeachment, but he chose not too. I think that was a pretty clear signal. And his shenanigans with the courts over the years has proven he doesn’t have the best interests of the USA or Constitution in mind, only the GOP.

He should have done that in 2015-16. He found his balls way too late.
I will only appluade if he comes to a realization over his role in fucking up the country.

True. What does happen the day after the election is they’ll know if the new leader will be majority or minority leader come Jan. 3 2025. Though that is the call of the incoming elected delegation, the outgoing delegation, the vast majority of whom will be carrying over (only 11 out of 49 currently R seats are up this year, but there’s 22 Dem or Ind seats up) will surely want to place the incoming leader in a position to be in charge of the conference ASAP leading and making decisions.

Any guesses if this will be like the SotH election? I know majority leader is not voted on by the whole Senate, but will the Ridiculous Right make unreasonable demands to support a candidate.

The vote will be within a closed meeting of the Senate Republican Caucus. I don’t think it will be the clown show of the Speaker’s race, but who knows? What’s important right for the “three Johns” is trying to lock in their colleagues, major donors, and other influential party figures in support of their bids. I expect the decision will be all but made within weeks.

ETA: Also, it’s just a simply majority of the caucus to elect a leader. So a Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley doesn’t have the same ability to obstruct that the FC did on the Speaker vote.

As did I. When it turned out he’s merely stepping down, I said, out loud to the tv, “Little damned late, motherfucker”. Get to shufflin’, you old bastard.

I think it means he’s dying soon.

Trump’s acquittal in 2021 is not the problem even if it were the reverse of a kangaroo court. The problem was when he unequivocably participated in insurrection and that conviction should have been without question and given the crime barred from office permanently. THAT’S when he should have been stopped.

IMO, the only way McConnell can partially redeem himself is if he begins to actively campaign against Trump.

Or the House case against Trump was largely nonsense. The way that it was run, it seemed to be intended as a fundraising and profile raising measure for the House Managers. There wasn’t much of a sense that there was any honest intent to make a case that Trump’s speech actually veered into encouraging people into violence.

If a prosecutor comes in and says, “He’s guilty! He murdered her!” And that’s the sum total of the case - no evidence, no witnesses, no nothing. Whether that prosecutor happens to have been correct or not, the jury should vote innocent. You vote based on the actual evidence and arguments presented, not on what the spirits of the ancients of Endor are telling you.

When you’re a politician and you want to go up hard against your electorate, you need a clear and unambiguous foundation on which to build your spin. You need something undeniable. The House did not produce that and, really, they don’t seem to have even had the intent to try and do so.

Moderating:

You’re hijacking this thread. Stop now. If you want to discuss this further, take it to a different thread.

He’s one of the very, very few Republicans who said they were done with trump after January 6th and haven’t backed down at all. Word is they haven’t spoken since then, and McConnell has no issues with bucking the puny one’s demands. Also, he hasn’t (so far) endorsed trump, one of the only senior Republicans who has not. So that’s one good thing.

That’s what I meant, sorry if I wasn’t clear. If Mitch would have voted to convict Trump, enough other Republicans would have followed suit and we’d have had a conviction and Trump would no longer be eligible to serve. Mitch had the opportunity to end Trump’s political career right there and chose not to.

Let’s not forget Moscow Mitch’s instrumental role in stacking the Supreme Court and denying Obama a pick.
Frankly, Mitch McConnell can’t be gone soon enough.

He was so done with Trump that he voted to allow him to remain in office and run again for President. Words are wind, especially from McConnell.

My father’s euphemism for flatulence was ‘letting wind’.

On cnn Dana bash sounded so solemn I thought he was in hospital or had passed.

I’m more concerned about who becomes leader. If it is an election denier the country will be in deep trouble.

If? Do they have any other options?

Not just SCOTUS but the entire Federal judiciary.